- Karnataka HC declines relief to Xiaomi over Rs 5,551-cr asset freeze
- OPEC output cut: Petrol, diesel price freeze in India just gets longer
- Pro Kabaddi league's rising fortunes rub off on prospects of the rural game
- Made by Google: Watch Pixel 7 series, Pixel Watch launch event livestream
- SpiceJet shares settle 9% higher on report of likely Rs 1,000-cr govt loan
- Sebi orders Brickwork Ratings to wind down operations in six months
By-poll result LIVE: BJP retains six seats, SP bags one in Uttar Pradesh
By-election result 2020: Stay tuned for LIVE updates on bypoll results in Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Telangana, Karnataka and other states
By-election result 2020 LIVE: Diwali seems to have arrived a few days early for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) today. Even as counting of votes is underway in Assembly by-elections in Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and in 8 other states, the saffron party has managed to pull a magnificent lead in a majority of seats across the states. In Madhya Pradesh bypolls, the ruling party is leading in 20 of the 28 Assembly constituencies for which by-elections were held, while the Congress is ahead in seven seats. In Gujarat, Karnataka and Telangana, BJP has won in all the eight, two and one seats, respectively. In Manipur, BJP candidate Oinam Lukhoi Singh won the by-election to the Wangoi seat, while saffron party candidates were leading from two other constituencies and an Independent from one.
The ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) and Congress retained both Dumka and Bermo Assembly seats for which bypolls were held. JMM candidate Basant Soren won the Dumka seat, defeating BJP candidate and former Minister Louis Marandi by over 6,000 votes. Basant Soren secured 79,964 votes and Louis Marandi got 73,524 votes.
The Congress won in Haryana's Baroda Assembly bypoll, which was necessitated after the demise of the sitting Congress MLA.
Stay tuned for LIVE updates on bypoll results in MP, UP, Gujarat, Telangana, Karnataka and other states