- Seven of top-10 firms add Rs 1.16 trn in m-cap; HDFC Bank lead gainer
- Macro data, global cues to dictate market trend this week: Analysts
- Sebi tweaks SOP in case of defaults by trading and clearing members
- SJS Enterprises gains 12% on healthy business outlook
- New import policy to buoy paper stocks in medium-to-long term: Analysts
- BPCL extends losses into 3rd day as Centre calls off privatisation process
- PSUs in focus: Coal India may hit new all-time high; BPCL could fall 11%
- ONGC tumbles 6% to hit four-month low; stock down 27% from 52-week-high
- Page Industries gains 8% on strong operational performance in March quarter
- Muthoot Finance sinks 9% on weak Q4 result; analysts bearish on stock
Sensex, Nifty end flat; Adani Ports gains 4%, Bajaj Finserv declines 3%
The Nifty IT index put up a strong show with a 0.7 per cent gain while the Nifty Realty index slipped 0.8 per cent.
Stock market updates:The penultimate day of the August F&O series' expiry turned out to be highly volatile as bulls and bears fought to reign on Street. While the benchmark indices scaled fresh lifetime highs in the intra-day deals, they failed to hold on to their gains and ended flat. India VIX was up 3 per cent by close.
The headline S&P BSE Sensex, after hitting a new high of 56,188 on the BSE, closed at 55,944 levels, down 15 points or 0.03 per cent. It's NSE counterpart, on the other hand, ended at 16,635 levels, up 10 points or 0.06 per cent. It had hit a new high of 16,712 in the intra-day deals.
The market breadth on the BSE favoured buyers for second straight day as broader indices outperformed benchmarks. The BSE MidCap index closed 0.6 per cent higher while the BSE SmallCap index gained 0.7 per cent.
Sectorally, the Nifty IT index put up a strong show with a 0.7 per cent gain while the Nifty Realty index slipped 0.8 per cent.