You are here: Home » News-ANI » Health
Business Standard

Government not taking coronavirus threat seriously: Rahul Gandhi

ANI  |  Health 

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday alleged that the central government is not taking the coronavirus threat seriously and added that timely action is critical in checking a potential outbreak.

"The coronavirus is an extremely serious threat to our people and our economy. My sense is the government is not taking this threat seriously. Timely action is critical," Rahul tweeted.

The new streak of coronavirus emanated in Wuhan city of China's Hubei province in December last year. It has spread to various countries since then, including India, Japan, Sri Lanka, Australia, UK and US.

More than 1,000 people have died of the infection in China alone and there are over 42,000 confirmed cases across the country.

The World Organization (WHO) has named the virus 'Covid-19'.

In India, three persons have been confirmed of suffering from coronavirus infection so far, while other suspected patients are being tested.

On Tuesday, Minister of State (MoS) for and Family Welfare, Ashwini Kumar Choubey, said that the government has been taking all measures to monitor the situation in view of coronavirus outbreak.

"All measures have been taken to monitor the situation in view of the Coronavirus outbreak. As of now, three confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus disease have been reported from Kerala. All the cases are clinically stable", said Choubey in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.

He said the screening of passengers has been initiated at all 21 airports and universal screening has been made mandatory for all flights from China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand.

Instructions have been issued to park these flights at earmarked aero-bridges to facilitate screening. Screening has also been initiated at all major seaports and minor ports wherein crew and passengers from China are expected. Besides this, screening has been initiated in border crossings.

First Travel advisory was issued on January 17, 2020 and as the situation is evolving, the travel advisories are accordingly getting revised.

"Existing visas (including eVisa already issued) are no longer valid for any foreign national travelling from China to India. People having compelling reasons to visit India may contact the Indian Embassy in Beijing or Indian Consulates in Shanghai or Guangzhou," he said.

People have already been advised to refrain from travel to China through an earlier advisory. People travelling to China henceforth will be quarantined on return.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, February 12 2020. 17:22 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU