You are here: Home » News-IANS » Sports
Business Standard

Conmebol had been run as 'personal fiefdom': Dominguez

IANS  |  Buenos Aires 

South American football's governing body Conmebol's president Alejandro Dominguez has ordered an audit after discovering it had been run like a "personal fiefdom" and not been held accountable in the past years.

The Paraguayan official was elected Conmebol's chief in January to replace its interim president, Uruguay's Wilmar Valdez.

"We want justice to be served because we understand that South American football was the biggest victim of this problem. The most important thing in Conmebol was money, and football was a means to an end. The commitment we assumed was to return Conmebol's focus to football," Alejandro Dominguez said on Wednesday, reports Efe.

Dominguez announced his decision at a press conference here in which he took stock of his first six months in office.

Less than two months prior to the start of Dominguez's tenure, Paraguayan Juan Angel Napout, who was Conmebol's president from August 2014 to December 2015, was arrested and indicted as part of a corruption case for allegedly accepting bribes linked to the sale of marketing rights.

"Upon taking office we realised we were entering an unorganised structure, something I'd identify as a personal fiefdom; I'd even say it was a personal business. A structure that was managed at the discretion of certain people and which was never held to account," Dominguez said.

Paraguay's Nicolas Leoz and Uruguay's Eugenio Figueredo, who held the top post at Conmebol between 1986-2013 and 2013-2014, respectively, are also under investigation by American officials.

"In Conmebol we found an institution that had diplomatic immunity and impunity. At the Conmebol building there are no documents prior to 2013. We didn't find balance sheets or accounting reports. All the figures we found were questionable or incomplete," Dominguez said.

The Conmebol chief said "more than 20,000 documents were being investigated".

--IANS

sam/bg

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Thu, August 25 2016. 14:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU