Business Standard

Death toll in Istanbul building collapse rises to 10

IANS  |  Istanbul 

Seven more bodies were found under the debris on Thursday afternoon, raising to 10 the death toll from the collapse of an eight-storey apartment building in Istanbul, the said.

"The number of our citizens who lost their lives increased to six, with 13 others wounded," said on the scene in the district on the Asian side of the city, noting another three bodies were found.

The later raised the death toll to ten, saying in a one-sentence statement that "four more bodies were found under the rubble."

Earlier in the day, a five-year-old girl was rescued from the rubble 19 hours after the collapse, lifting the number of the wounded to 13, reports

Yerlikaya said on the scene that the condition of the girl was getting better following a surgery.

Considering the risk of collapse of other buildings on either side of the debris, experts have been monitoring even the "tiniest movements," the governor noted.

"The safety of our friends working on the rubble is also very important for us," Yerlikaya said, adding all the structures within the specific location will soon be technically examined.

The authorities have earlier evacuated a total of seven buildings in the area as a precaution.

Mehmet Gulluoglu, of the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency, said it is unclear how many people are being trapped under the debris.

"It is also not possible to say on which floor our teams are working, as the building slipped toward the front before the collapse," Gulluoglu told reporters on the scene.

The rescue operation is continuing despite a cold and wet day.

--IANS

vc

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, February 08 2019. 00:40 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU