You are here: Home » News-IANS » Politics
Business Standard

Russia calls Syrian 'chemical attack' staged

IANS  |  Moscow 

has "indisputable" data that the in the Syrian town of was staged by "foreign agents", said on Friday.

"The mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of (OPCW) has set off to not so quickly and without abundant enthusiasm but under our and Syrian pressure. It is due to arrive in on April 14," TASS news agency quoted as saying.

"We expect the mission to go without any delay to where Russian specialists who examined this place have not found any confirmations of the use of chemical weapons," he said.

"We have the irrefutable data that this was staged... and the special services of a country, which is now seeking to be in the first ranks of the Russophobic campaign, were involved in this staged event," he said.

The US and said they had proof it took place and, alongside the UK, were considering military retaliation.

Russia, which has military forces deployed in in support of the government, warned that US air strikes risked starting a war.

accused of putting international peace at risk and requested a UN meeting in later in the day but it was not confirmed that it will happen. The said it was continuing to assess intelligence and talk to its allies about how to respond.

"The immediate priority is to avert the danger of war," said Moscow's UN on Thursday.

The delegation from the OPCW will start its investigations in Syria's Eastern Ghouta region on Saturday but few details were expected to be released about its movements for safety reasons.

The suspected attack, denied by Syrian Bashar al-Assad's government, was carried out last week, reportedly killing over 70 people.

The Violations Documentation Centre, which records alleged violations of international law in Syria, said bodies were found with foam at the mouth, discoloured

On Thursday, US officials said they had blood and urine samples from victims which had tested positive for chlorine and a nerve agent, according to a report.

French also said he had "proof" that the Syrian government had attacked with

In the UK, Cabinet ministers said that it was "highly likely" the Assad regime was responsible for the attack. UK and US agreed on the need to deter in

Trump had also said last week that bore responsibility for the "atrocity" in Douma.

On Wednesday, the US President said the missiles were "coming", but on Thursday he tweeted that he had "never said when". It "could be very soon or not so soon at all".

--IANS

soni/vm

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, April 13 2018. 20:52 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU