Disclaimer: These are personal views of the writer. They do not necessarily reflect the opinion of www.business-standard.com or the Business Standard newspaper
The Governor of Meghalaya, Satyapal Malik, has cautioned the government not to prolong the farmers’ agitation. His public speech in western Uttar Pradesh warned of dire consequences and, potentially, political assassinations, if the issue was not quickly resolved. As a one-time member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and an incumbent Governor, the tone and substance of his speech is, on the face of it, inexplicable. He suggested that concessions could be easily made by the government: “You only have to give a legal standing to MSP and the whole thing will be over. Once this is done and amendments made to these (three farm) laws, for which the government is ready, the whole issue will be resolved.”
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.