You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

18 more Zika virus cases detected in Jaipur; total 50

Press Trust of India  |  Jaipur/New Delhi 

Eighteen more people in Rajasthan's district have tested positive for virus, taking the total number of such cases to 50, a Union Ministry said Friday.

At least 10 of the cases were reported from Jaipur's Shashtri Nagar locality.

The figures were issued after a review meeting chaired by department's Additional Chief Secretary, Medical and Health, Veenu Gupta on Friday.

The first case had surfaced on September 22. Fogging and other anti-larvae activities are being carried out in the Shastri Nagar area to prevent the spread of the virus.

Earlier, a department had said that 30 of the total cases were doing fine after treatment.

At the review meeting, measures taken to contain the situation were discussed.

The department has also issued an advisory for pregnant women staying outside Shastri Nagar not to visit the area.

A control room has been activated at the for Disease Control to monitor the situation.

The number of monitoring teams in has been increased from 50 to 170 and a special isolation ward has been created at the to treat the virus-affected patients.

A team from the (NIMR) recently found virus in some mosquitoes taken as samples from Shastri Nagar, leading to suspicion they are behind the infection.

Dr Neena Valecha, the NIMR director, had earlier said the virus appears to be locally transmitted.

The has been provided information, education and communication (IEC) material prepared to create awareness about and prevention strategies.

The Zika virus, transmitted through Aedes aegypti mosquito, causes fever, skin rashes, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain. It is harmful to pregnant women, as it can lead to microcephaly, a condition in which a baby's is significantly smaller than expected, in newborn children.

In India, the first outbreak was reported in Ahmedabad in January 2017 and the second was reported in Tamil Nadu's district in July that year. Both these outbreaks were successfully contained through intensive surveillance and vector management, the ministry had said earlier.

The disease continues to be on surveillance radars of the Union Ministry although it is no longer a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under WHO notification since November 18, 2016.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, October 12 2018. 20:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU