You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Centre 'rejected' Pb's spl aid request for Guru Nanak's birth anniversary: Sidhu

Press Trust of India  |  Chandigarh 

Minister said Monday the Centre has "rejected" the state's request for a special Rs 2,145 crore financial assistance for Sikhism founder Dev's 550th birth anniversary celebrations.

had placed the request to fund the events connected with the birth anniversary celebrations of Dev, which falls in November next year.

The Centre has cited that it has a total budget of Rs 100 crore for all commemorative functions to be organised in various parts of the country pertaining to 550th birth anniversary celebrations, said.

"The Punjabgovernment had demanded Rs 2,145 crore, which has been rejected totally. The Centrehas cited that theyhave earmarked Rs 100 crore for the celebrations to be held all over the country. Moreover, they saidout ofthis Rs 100 crorenearly half the amount has already been spent," Sidhu, who is Tourism and Cultural Affairs Minister,said at a press conference here.

The releasedminutes of a meeting of the (NIC),headed by a central minister,held on July 30 this year,and claimed that the Centre has offered only Rs 35 crore to for the event.

Notably, in June this year, in a letter to the had sought an assistance of Rs 2,145.31 crore from the Centre for commemorative projects andundertaking various infrastructural projects in towns and cities associated with the first Guru.

said he had earlier written a letter to the Centreseeking special package of Rs 100 crore for the historic

He said he had written letter way back in January stating that there should be a cafeteria, modern amenities, landscaping, world class light and sound system at this place as in April,2019, the countrywill be observing 100 years ofthe Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Sidhu said though a "small amount" has been released, the is awaiting permission from the Centre for initiating renovation works at Jallianwala Bagh.

"If Centre does not give permission, I will take it to the Cabinet. We already have Rs 8 crore (from Centre), the has announced Rs 10 crore, we have asked for additional Rs 30 crore, but we need Centre's permission. The is headed by the prime minister," he said.

He said that the work must start now "otherwise we will be left with no time. The tendering process will take 2-3 months".

Sidhu warned that Punjab will strongly resist any move if Jallianwala Bagh is given to any corporate house or individual entity under "adopt a heritage scheme".

"We will strongly object if Jallianwala Bagh is given to any corporate house orprivate entity for adoption.Already we have seen adverse public reaction as it happened in case of the in We cannot accept that tomorrow any private body will start charging entry fees or put up its own plaques at the site," he said.

He claimed that he has written a letter in this regard to Union

Sidhu, however, saidif any private company or individual would like to spend money for the monument's upkeep,without expecting anything in return, thatwill be acceptable.

"My point is that we want to maintain solemness of the site and not create any picnic spot there. We will not allow Jallianwala Bagh to be given for adoption or oncontract ... Jallianwala Bagh is not for sale," he said.

"So, I have written aletter statingthat we are not ready to give Jallianwala Baghfor adoption like the Red Fort," he said.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, October 08 2018. 20:10 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU