You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Man City face FIFA transfer ban: report

AFP  |  London 

Manchester City will be banned by from making signings in the next two windows after they broke rules related to the protection of youth players and third-party ownership, according to a report in newspaper.

The club are already being investigated by the and over allegations related to youth transfers and financial fair play rules.

European football's governing body is also looking into potential breaches of financial fair play, an investigation that could result in City being banned from

A ban for the champions would come less than a month after Chelsea were hit with the same sanction for 29 breaches of article 19 of FIFA's regulations on the and status of players.

The west have already lodged an appeal against that punishment but were told by world governing body last week that the sanction would not be frozen while the case is being reviewed, as Chelsea had hoped.

has been investigating City's international transfers for several years, although the club were cleared of breaking the rules when they signed from Velez Sarsfield in 2016 just after the Argentine midfielder's 16th birthday.

According to report, FIFA believes City have crossed the line, though, in regards to their relationship with FC Nordsjaelland and the Right To Dream football academy in that is also owned by the Danish side's president,

Last year, two players from the academy, Sierra Leone's and Ghanaian Dominic Oduro, told Danish newspaper that they signed for City and played in youth matches before they turned 18.

Both have since left City -- Davies now plays in and Oduro in the -- but FIFA has been investigating their time with the English club.

And that investigation was broadened later in 2018 when a second Danish newspaper, Politiken, published a story that said City had a secret deal with Vernon to have first refusal on the best prospects from Right to Dream.

If true, that would be a breach of the rules preventing the third-party ownership of players, as City could be argued to have undue influence over another club's players.

refused to be drawn on the report at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

"I said what I said last week. I was clear on my opinion. I don't have any more comments," Guardiola said.

Asked if his squad could withstand a transfer ban, he added: "The squad is really good."

City have welcomed the investigation into allegations that the club tried to circumvent financial fair play regulations.

As well as Chelsea, Spanish trio Atletico Madrid, and Real Madrid have all been punished for signing under-age players from abroad in the past.

Real were able to get their ban reduced on appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, an avenue Chelsea will also explore.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, March 15 2019. 20:35 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU