You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Max case: Tragedy befalls parents of premature twins again

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Twenty-five-year-old Ashish Kumar was on nine a few months ago when he learnt that he was going to be a father, but fate has left him and his wife devastated and traumatised as they lost the second of their premature twins today.

Their ordeal began on November 30 when his wife gave birth to premature twins (boy and girl) at the upscale Max hospital in Shalimar Bagh but both the babies were declared stillborn and handed over to them in a polythene bag.

But to their utter horror, the family found that the boy was still alive, while they were on way to do their final rites.

The baby was rushed to a nearby nursing home in Pitampura but the family got another sad today when the boy, who was surviving on life support, died early morning.

Petrified, Kumar has now refused to take the body of his child, in an act of protest, and demanded that the two doctors allegedly involved in the "medical negligence" in the case be arrested.

"I have been wronged. Instead of becoming a father, I lived through the death of my daughter, and death of my son, not once but twice. I feel as if a bolt of lightning has struck me over my head. But I will not take my son's body until the two doctors are arrested, so that we get justice," Kumar told PTI.

Kumar, whose native place is in Rajasthan, runs a shop in Nangloi area in west Delhi, and the pain and suffering over the last few days has, left him shaken to the core.

He stood outside the nursing home in Pitampura, while his wife is still recovering from the complications of the birth.

"My wife, Varsha (21) is still admitted at Max Hospital. She is still weak. And, I will not get her discharged from that hospital until they get us justice. My family members are all there with her," he said.

Kumar has alleged that the doctors and hospital authorities are responsible for the fate his child has suffered.

Recalling the ordeal, he said, "We were given two babies in one yellow-coloured polythene bag. While taking them for burial in a car, we had put them in separately. I was holding my deceased daughter while my father-in-law was holding the baby boy, when he found him moving his leg."

"We were taking him to bury. It was God's grace that we got to know he was alive in the nick of time, otherwise I would have committed a grave sin," said an emotionally distraught Kumar.

The Delhi government and Max Healthcare have ordered separate probes into the case.

The panel formed by the Delhi government to look into the case of the premature baby being wrongly declared dead, in its preliminary report yesterday, found the hospital guilty of not following prescribed medical norms in dealing with newborn infants.

Max Healthcare on December 4 had said that it had decided to terminate the services of two doctors allegedly involved in the case.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, December 06 2017. 17:55 IST