The husband of a British bride who died on her honeymoon in Sri Lanka will be kept in the country at least until a formal hearing on the death is held on Wednesday, police said.
The bride died just six days after her wedding and two days after the couple checked into a hotel in the resort town of Galle, south of the capital Colombo.
The couple's family has told British media that the newlyweds had suffered severe food poisoning.
Chandaria, 33, was also taken ill.
Police said an inquest hearing will be held on Wednesday when authorities expect toxicology reports ordered by a judicial medical officer.
"The couple consumed a light meal prepared by the hotel, as did other guests at the same time and who remain fine," he told AFP.
"Also in their possession were other consumable items obtained from outside of the hotel and we have handed these items to the relevant authorities as part of their investigations."
Chandaria could not be contacted immediately, but he has told the British media that both of them felt feverish and vomited blood after falling ill.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)