Business Standard

Two die of leptospirosis and dengue in Mumbai

Image

Press Trust of India Mumbai
Two boys died of leptospirosis and dengue in Mumbai after the onset of monsoon, a civic official said today.
While a 15-year-old boy from suburban Kurla fell prey to leptospirosis on June 25, a 13-year-old boy from Dharavi died of dengue on June 13 at the civic-run Sion Hospital, the official said.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection which is spread through infected urine of animals while dengue is caused by the bite of an infected aedes aegypti mosquito.
The deceased are identified as Bharat Kale and Mohammad Rehan, residents of Kurla and Dharavi, respectively.
Kale was admitted to the civic-run hospital on June 24 with high fever and chills, the official said, adding that his medical reports confirmed leptospirosis infection.
He died within 24 hours of admission, the official said.
Mohammad Rehan was admitted to Sion Hospital on June 13 and died on the same day, according to the official.
BMC's executive health officer Dr Padmaja Keskar said the civic health department has taken cognisance of the deaths and collecting detailed medical history of the deceased.
"All measures will be taken to stop spread of these diseases in monsoon," she said.
A total of 16 people had died of leptospirosis and 15 of dengue in the last two years.

Disclaimer: No Business Standard Journalist was involved in creation of this content

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Jun 27 2018 | 11:00 PM IST

Explore News