Around 300 people gathered at Connaught Place's outer circle in Delhi on Sunday to protest against caste-based reservation and demand reforms in the quota system, with police detaining over 20 protesters from the site, officials said. The protesters, who raised slogans and carried placards, called for greater emphasis on economic criteria in deciding eligibility for reservation and government support, arguing that assistance should reach economically disadvantaged people irrespective of caste. Police said over 20 people gathered at Connaught Place were detained and removed from the site as no permission had been granted for the demonstration. Police maintained a presence at Connaught Place as the gathering was cleared from the protest site. A key demand raised during the demonstration was the introduction of a creamy-layer criterion and a review of the existing reservation framework. Protesters also sought changes in policies concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other
The upkeep of Delhi's iconic Lutyens bungalows, now nearly a century old, is becoming increasingly expensive -- annual expenditure on the renovation, furnishing and repair of the official residences of Union ministers touched a record high of Rs 92.35 crore in 2025-26, more than three times the Rs 27.47 crore in 2014-15. According to information obtained by PTI through an RTI query, the government spent Rs 547.68 crore on such works between 2014-15 and 2025-26 through the Central Public Works Department (CPWD), which executes the repairs, renovation and maintenance works. The data shows that the annual bill for 2025-26 was the highest since 2014, officials said, attributing it to various factors, including inflation as well as the wear and tear costs of the ageing structures set in expansive grounds in the heart of the capital. CPWD officials have, over the years, pointed to maintenance challenges such as seepage, termite infestation, ageing electrical systems, plumbing problems and
The Delhi government has issued a health advisory urging people to follow respiratory hygiene, avoid crowded places and seek timely medical advice as cases of H1N1 (swine flu) rise in the national capital. Delhi has recorded over 2,300 Influenza-A cases this year, including over 1,777 H1N1 cases till Friday. The health department said 114 H1N1 cases were reported on Thursday alone. The advisory asks people to cover their mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing, wash their hands regularly with soap and water, wear masks in crowded places and avoid close contact with people suffering from respiratory illnesses. People have also been advised to avoid touching their eyes and nose, refrain from spitting in public places and take adequate fluids. If symptoms such as fever, cough, sore throat, breathing difficulty, body ache or headache appear seek medical advice instead of taking medicines without consulting a doctor, the advisory said. The health department earlier said Delhi was ful
Construction activities will be completely banned in Delhi from December 10 to January 20 as part of the government's measures to curb air pollution during the winter season, Chief Minister Rekha Gupta said on Friday. In a post on X, Gupta urged citizens to report violations, saying construction sites measuring above 500 square metres would be monitored through the Delhi government's Dust Portal and AI-enabled cameras. "Construction will be completely banned from 10 December to 20 January. If you spot any violation, inform MCD, your MLA, or me directly," she said. Gupta said that during the previous winter, construction activities had continued at some sites despite the implementation of the Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP), with work being carried out behind covers. "Last time, even under GRAP, some construction continued behind covers," she said. This year, such sites will be monitored in real time through the Dust Portal and AI-enabled cameras, with alerts being sent to the .
Security has been heightened at Jantar Mantar here in view of a proposed protest against caste-based reservation, with additional police personnel deployed in the area, police sources said on Friday. According to the sources, some people gathered at the protest site in the morning, but they were immediately removed by the police as no permission had been granted for holding the demonstration. Security personnel have been deployed at key points around Jantar Mantar and barricades have been put in place to prevent any unauthorised gathering, the sources said. Police personnel are also keeping a close watch on movement towards the protest site and are checking people entering the area, they added. The sources said the police are maintaining strict vigil and will not allow any gathering without prior permission. The protest was called by "Reservation Hatao Andolan", an Instagram-based page. The digital campaign subsequently called for a physical, anti-reservation protest at Jantar Man
MPD-2047 proposes a heritage-led makeover of Old Delhi, with TDR for conservation, adaptive reuse of buildings, boutique hotels, phased godown relocation, better logistics and pedestrian infra
India's national capital is set for a major urban revamp under the Master Plan for Delhi 2047, with green-blue infrastructure at its heart
From water and sewage to waste management, drainage and power infrastructure, here's what the Master Plan for Delhi says will be needed to support a projected 32 million people by 2047
Delhi's new master plan proposes a "24-hour city", with selected areas staying active longer to boost nightlife, tourism, jobs and the local economy
Delhi's IT department has sought 41-62 acres for four technology projects under MPD-2047, including semiconductor and electronics, drone innovation, a digital hub, and AI-enabled data infrastructure
Plan promotes small-format housing and redevelopment of slums and unauthorised colonies, while pushing high-density growth, transit-oriented development and new transport networks
MPD-2047 plans for a population of 32 million and shifts Delhi towards denser mixed-use growth around mass transit, land pooling and infrastructure-led urban expansion
The Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) has sought 14 days of judicial custody of former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain, ex-Delhi Jal Board CEO Udit Prakash Rai and three others in the alleged corruption case involving the tendering process for sewage treatment plant projects of the DJB. In its submissions to Special Judge Dig Vinay Singh, the ACB sought the police custody of only one of the total six accused, Ankit Srivastava, a former contractual consultant with the DJB. Counsel for Jain said that after the FIR was registered "way back on May 10, 2024," his client was called once on August 5, 2026, and then a second time through a phone call on Tuesday, after which he was arrested. The advocate claimed there was no material to justify the arrest. He said that a bail plea would also be moved on behalf of Jain. Rai's counsel also challenged his client's arrest, saying he was currently posted as secretary in the Mizoram government. The advocates of other accused also assailed the grounds o
The Anti-Corruption Branch has arrested Satyendar Jain and 5 others over alleged irregularities, tender manipulation and a money trail linked to sewage treatment plant projects of the Delhi Jal Board
The Delhi government is planning to enact a 'Parivar Pehchan' legislation to formally introduce 'family cards' to ensure that benefits of its welfare schemes and programmes reach the genuine persons, officials said on Monday. The legislation will allow the government to create a database of Delhi residents, said a senior Delhi government officer. In July, the government announced its family card plan, with the primary objective of creating a unified database of all families in the city. The card will carry information of the cardholder's family members, birth and death details and whether they are availing benefits under any existing government scheme. The family card will be modelled on a similar 'Parivar Pehchan Patra' system introduced in Haryana. The 'Delhi Parivar Pehchan' legislation will provide the legal and administrative bases to implement these cards, officials said. Under the system proposed, each family would be issued a card in the name of the eldest female member o
Delhi’s Master Plan 2047 could reshape the capital with nearly 40 lakh new homes, regulated development across 70 peripheral villages, redevelopment of old DDA housing and new infrastructure.
Delhi Auto Rickshaw Sangh on Sunday said it will hold a protest at Jantar Mantar on August 17 to demand setting up of a welfare board and highlight other transport-linked issues. Under the umbrella organisation of Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh, the Delhi Auto Rickshaw Sangh will gather on Monday and launch the agitation against the central and state governments. "I appeal to all auto-taxi drivers to reach Jantar Mantar tomorrow and present their demands to the government. Our demand is that the Delhi government should immediately constitute the 'Auto-Taxi Drivers' Welfare Board' and withdraw the increased vehicle fitness fees immediately," Rajendra Soni, general secretary, Delhi Auto Rickshaw Sangh said. The Transport Ministry raised the fitness test fee for all motor vehicles older than 20 years in November 2025 to discourage people from keeping them. The union also demands working time limits, accountability for officials of the Delhi transport department and an immediate ban on bike .
To provide different types of transportation services in a single area, the Master Plan of Delhi 2047 proposes developing Multi-Modal Transport Hubs (MMTHs), where metro, bus, railway and other facilities are available in close proximity, officials said on Saturday. Three locations, including Anand Vihar-Karkardooma, Kashmere Gate and Nizamuddin-Sarai Kale Khan road stretches, will be developed as multi-modal transit hubs integrating rail, metro, bus, para-transit and non-motorised transport to improve last-mile connectivity. "Delhi will develop high-footfall transit nodes with multiple modes of transport located at a single location as Multi-Modal Transport Hubs (MMTHs), with comprehensive plans to be prepared jointly by all concerned transit agencies," an official added. According to the draft MPD plan, the concerned transit agencies will undertake coordinated plans for execution of such projects. Beyond the aforementioned roads, additional areas will also be identified for the ..
The capital is on high alert in view of Independence Day celebrations, with more than 25,000 Delhi Police and paramilitary personnel deployed across the city to maintain law and order, while a multi-layered security grid has been placed around the Red Fort, involving over 1,000 CCTV cameras and AI-based video analytics, a senior police officer said. Elaborate security arrangements are in place around the historic Red Fort, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will unfurl the national flag and address the nation. "We have elaborate security arrangements, keeping in mind the incidents witnessed in the capital last year," Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Raja Banthia told PTI. The security plan includes multiple layers of checking and screening at entry points and around the Red Fort, besides a dedicated anti-terror response mechanism to deal with any possible threat or emergency situation, the officer said. More than 25,000 Delhi Police and paramilitary personnel are deployed at .
Failure messages on the report further flagged issues with the hydraulic system, an elevator computer, and a high-pressure indication linked to the nose landing gear door/engine anti-ice valve system