)
Thousands of Palestinians continued to travel north towards Gaza City, the focus of Israeli attacks over the past two months, hopeful the ceasefire would bring an end to the war
Trump's UN address targets global discontent, framing climate action as elite-driven, turning science into a political wedge for ideological gain
Hamas rejects Trump-led peace plan as doubts linger over hostages, Israeli withdrawals, and post-war governance in Gaza, casting uncertainty over durable peace
Inflation has risen in three of the last four months and is slightly higher than it was a year ago, when it helped sink then-Vice President Kamala Harris' presidential campaign. Yet you wouldn't know it from listening to President Donald Trump or even some of the inflation fighters at the Federal Reserve. Trump told the United Nations General Assembly late last month: Grocery prices are down, mortgage rates are down, and inflation has been defeated. And at a high-profile speech in August, just before the Fed cut its key interest rate for the first time this year, Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said: Inflation, though still somewhat elevated, has come down a great deal from its post-pandemic highs. Upside risks to inflation have diminished. Yet dismissing or even downplaying inflation while it is still above the Fed's target of 2 per cent poses big risks for the White House and the Federal Reserve. For the Trump administration, it could find itself on the wrong side of a potent
US President Donald Trump and Egypt's Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will host a Gaza peace summit on October 13 in Sharm el-Sheikh, inviting PM Modi and other world leaders to discuss regional stability
After China unveiled wide-ranging global export controls on products containing even traces of certain rare earths this week, Trump fired back by threatening to cancel an in-person meeting with Xi
The Nobel Institute in Norway said espionage was 'highly likely' behind an apparent leak that sent betting odds for Venezuelan leader Maria Corina Machado soaring hours before her Peace Prize win
US President Donald Trump has appointed Deputy Chief of Staff Dan Scavino to head the White House Presidential Personnel Office, the president announced on Sunday. Scavino replaces Sergio Gor, who was confirmed by the Senate as the next US Ambassador to India. Gor is currently on a six-day India visit. Trump announced Scavino's appointment in a post on Truth Social. "I am pleased to announce that the great Dan Scavino, in addition to remaining Deputy Chief of Staff of the Trump Administration, will head the White House Presidential Personnel Office, replacing Sergio Gor, who did a wonderful job in that position, and will now become the Ambassador to India." Scavino will be responsible for the selection and appointment of almost all positions in government, "a very big and important position", Trump said. "Congratulations Dan, you will do a fantastic job!!!" he added. The Presidential Personnel Office oversees the selection process for presidential appointments and works to recrui
Beijing called Trump's new tariff plan 'a typical example of double standards', warning of countermeasures as fresh restrictions on rare earth exports deepen trade tensions before the Xi-Trump summit
Judges have stalled President Donald Trump's plans to deploy the National Guard in Chicago and in Portland, Oregon, but troops are now patrolling in Memphis, Tennessee, with the blessing of the state's governor. The troops, dressed in Guard fatigues and protective vests, with guns in their holsters, patrolled at a Bass Pro Shops store and a nearby tourist welcome centre beside the Mississippi River on Friday. It was unclear how many troops have been deployed to Memphis. Trump has sent or discussed sending troops to other cities as well, including Baltimore; the District of Columbia; New Orleans; and the California cities of Oakland, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The federal government says the troops support immigration agents and protect federal property. The Guard troops in Memphis remain under the command of Republican Gov. Bill Lee, who supports their use to further a federal crackdown on crime. By contrast, Trump has attempted to deploy National Guard troops including some f
The meeting will see the participation of leaders from more than 20 countries
National Guard troops sent to Illinois by President Donald Trump can stay in the state and under federal control, but can't be deployed to protect federal property or go on patrol for now, an appeals court ruled Saturday. The decision comes after federal Judge April Perry on Thursday ruled to temporarily block the National Guard deployment for at least two weeks, finding no substantial evidence that a danger of rebellion is brewing in Illinois during Trump's immigration crackdown. The appeals court on Saturday granted a pause in the case until it can hear further arguments. The on-again, off-again deployments stem from a political and legal battle over Trump's push to send the Guard to several US cities. His administration claims crime is rampant in those cities, despite statistics not always supporting that. If a president invokes the Insurrection Act, they can dispatch active duty military in states that fail to put down an insurrection or defy federal law. However, Perry said sh
President Donald Trump said Saturday that he has directed the Defense Department to use all available funds to ensure US troops are paid Wednesday despite the government shutdown, a short-term fix that will not apply to the hundreds of thousands of federal workers who have been furloughed. Trump said in a social media post that he was acting because our Brave Troops will miss the paychecks they are rightfully due on October 15th. The Republican president's directive removes one of the pressure points that could have forced Congress into action, likely ensuring that the shutdown now in its 11th day and counting extends into a third week and possibly beyond. But no similar action seems forthcoming for federal employees also working without pay while thousands are now being laid off during the lapse in government operations. The White House budget office started the layoffs on Friday. Trump blamed Democrats and said he was exercising his authority as commander in chief to direct ...
Major US online stores have removed millions of Chinese electronics banned by the FCC, including cameras and smart watches, as part of national security measures
President Donald Trump is in exceptional health," his physician said Friday after he underwent a checkup that included lab tests and preventive health assessments at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Trump spent roughly three hours at the Bethesda, Maryland, hospital earlier Friday for what his doctor, Navy Capt. Sean Barbabella, called a scheduled follow-up evaluation" that was a part of his ongoing health maintenance plan. While there, Trump also got his yearly flu shot, as well as a COVID-19 booster vaccine. President Donald J. Trump remains in exceptional health, exhibiting strong cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological and physical performance, Barbabella wrote in a one-page memo released Friday night by the White House. The doctor noted in the memo that the evaluation helped prepare for Trump's upcoming overseas trips and included advanced imaging, lab testing and preventive health assessments. The president is travelling to the Middle East this weekend and is ...
The United States clashed with Venezuela and its allies at an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on Friday, with the Trump administration vowing to use its full might to eradicate drug cartels and the Maduro government saying it anticipates an armed attack. Venezuela asked for the meeting of the UN's most powerful body following deadly US military strikes on four boats that Washington says were carrying drugs. Venezuela accused US President Donald Trump of seeking to topple President Nicols Maduro and threatening peace, security and stability regionally and internationally. The Trump administration has said three of the targeted boats set out to sea from Venezuela. The strikes, which the US said killed 21 people, followed a buildup of US maritime forces in the Caribbean unlike any seen in recent times. The belligerent action and rhetoric of the U.S. government objectively point to the fact that we are facing a situation in which it is rational to anticipate that in the ve
A food aid program that supports millions of low-income mothers and their young children received a USD 300 million infusion from the Trump administration this week, alleviating some anxiety that it would run out of money during the government shutdown. The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children helps more than 6 million low-income mothers, young children and expectant parents to purchase nutritious staples like fruits and vegetables, low-fat milk and infant formula. The program, known as WIC, was at risk of running out of money this month because of the government shutdown, which occurred right before it was slated to receive its annual appropriation. This week, White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt posted on X that said that the White House had found a creative solution to use tariff revenues to keep the program afloat. By Thursday, at least some states were receiving WIC money. Alaska and Washington said they received enough federal funds to keep
Machado's prize is unlikely to help improve the circumstances for her supporters and opposition leaders, whose ranks have thinned under a brutal crackdown that's sent many to jail or into exile
Tens of thousands of Palestinians headed back to the heavily destroyed northern Gaza Strip on Friday as a US-brokered ceasefire came into effect in a deal that raised hopes for ending the Israel-Hamas war. All the remaining hostages were set to be released within days. Questions remain over who will govern Gaza as Israeli troops gradually pull back and whether Hamas will disarm, as called for in US President Donald Trump's ceasefire plan. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who unilaterally ended a ceasefire in March, hinted that Israel might renew its offensive if Hamas does not give up its weapons. The latest truce nevertheless marks a key step toward ending a ruinous two-year war that was triggered by Hamas' 2023 attack on Israel. The fighting has killed tens of thousands of Palestinians and displaced around 90 per cent of the Gaza population of some 2 million, often multiple times. Many of them will find fields of rubble where their homes once stood. The military confirmed the ..
The administration plans to slash at least 4,100 workers from the government during the shutdown, according to newly filed court documents