The Manipur government on Wednesday extended the suspension of internet services in Churachandpur district for five days in view of the prevailing law and order situation in the district, following violence over an action taken against a policeman. A home department order, issued by Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi, said, "The state government after reviewing the prevailing law and order situation in Churachandpur district decided to continue suspension of internet services and services through VPN throughout the whole revenue jurisdiction of Churachandpur district." Mobile service providers are also directed to ensure compliance with the order, it said. The government had first imposed a temporary suspension on internet services on February 16. At least two people were killed and 30 injured in firing by security forces after a mob barged into a government complex, housing the offices of the superintendent of police and deputy commissioner, torched vehicles and ransacked properties on
A tribal body in Manipur has withdrawn its appeal to government employees to refrain from attending work over the suspension of a head constable who was allegedly seen with armed men in a video grab. In a statement issued late on Monday night, Churachandpur-based Indigneous Tribal Leaders Forum (ITLF) said, "In the interest of the general public, the closure of state government offices will be lifted immediately." On Monday, state government offices in Churachandpur and neighbouring Pherzawl districts recorded thin attendance after ITLF urged staffers to refrain from attending work. The ITLF stated that its demand for "replacement" of district SP and DC and revocation of suspension of a head constable have not been met. "In light of their safety, the district's DC and SP were ordered to depart. Nevertheless, it has come to light that they have risked their lives to return to the district. They are now responsible for their own safety and security," the statement read. The ITLF als
The Manipur government has ordered a magisterial probe into the looting of arms from an India Reserve Battalion (IRB) camp at Chingarel in Imphal East district on February 13 to "ascertain the facts and circumstances leading to the incident". An order issued by the Home Department on Sunday said "an unfortunate incident occurred on February 13 in which a mob mostly youths stormed the camp of 5th IRB located at Chingarel Tezpur and snatched away arms and ammunition leading to a confrontation between mob and security forces involving exchange of fire at the spot." As per the order, District Magistrate Imphal East Khumanthem Diana has been appointed as the Enquiry authority to "ascertain facts and circumstances" leading to the incident and to "suggest remedial measures to avoid recurrence of such incidents in the future." The enquiry report is to be submitted to the government in 30 days from the date of issue of the order. Six persons were arrested by police for their involvement in
The Indigenous Tribal Leaders Forum (ITLF) has urged government employees in Manipur's Churachandpur district to refrain from attending work from Monday over the suspension of a head constable who was allegedly seen with armed men in a video grab. The tribal outfit has made the call to press for its demand for the revocation of the suspension of head constable Siamlalpaul and "immediate replacement" of Superintendent of Police Shivanand Surve and Deputy Commissioner Dharun Kumar. At least two people were killed and 30 injured in firing by security forces after a mob barged into a government complex housing the SP and DC offices, torched vehicles and ransacked government property in Churachandpur, hours after the suspension of the head constable on February 15. "More than 24 hours have passed since the ITLF gave an ultimatum to cancel the suspension order of head constable Siamlalpaul and replace Churachandpur SP and DC but so far, no cancellation or replacement has been done," the .
Latest news updates LIVE: Catch all the latest updates from around the world here
Fresh violence broke out in Manipur's Churachandpur on Thursday night after a mob barged into the SP and DC offices and torched vehicles and ransacked government property. Watch the video to know more
A mob of approximately 300-400 people attempted to storm the office of the Superintendent of Police (SP) in Churachandpur, Manipur, on Thursday night, the police said
This measure is viewed as a step towards protecting the ethnic communities of Manipur
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh asserted that efforts are underway to eradicate illegal poppy cultivation in the northeastern state. He said a review meeting was held in the CM Secretariat on Thursday to "deliberate on measures and renewed strategies to end the menace". "Satellite mapping is being carried out and surveys are being conducted through unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to pinpoint locations of poppy plantations," he said. During the meeting, images of the poppy cultivation were handed over to the superintendents of police of Kangpokpi, Churachandpur, Senapati and Ukhrul districts and they were asked to destroy the plantations by the end of this month with assistance from other agencies, the CM said. "Poppy harvesting season is on... hence efforts are being made to destroy the poppy plantations before harvesting," he said. Singh also thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah for the Centre's decision to erect fencing along the India-Myan
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh on Thursday thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah for scrapping the India-Myanmar Free Movement Regime (FMR) and for their committment to secure the border. Earlier in the day, Shah said the Centre has decided to scrap the FMR to ensure the country's internal security and maintain the demographic structure of the Northeastern states. The FMR allows people residing close to the India-Myanmar border to venture 16 km into each other's territory without any documents. Taking to X, Singh said, "Immensely grateful to Hon'ble PM Shri Narendra Modi Ji and Hon'ble HM Shri Amit Shah Ji for their commitment to securing our borders. The decision to scrap the FMR between India and Myanmar, as recommended by the Minister of Home Affairs, India, is crucial for our internal security and the demographic integrity of our North Eastern States." "This is yet another historic decision in curbing illegal immigration and strengthening
The Centre's decision to fence the Indo-Myanmar border has evoked mixed reactions with the Kuki-Zo people claiming that the move will sever ethnic ties and Meitei organisations hailing the step saying it will check movement of unscrupulous elements from across the border. The reactions came a day after the announcement by Union Home Minister Amit Shah on X that the Centre had decided to fence the Indo-Myanmar border. "It has been decided to construct a fence along the entire 1643-kilometre-long Indo-Myanmar border. To facilitate better surveillance, a patrol track along the border will also be paved," Shah had said. Reacting to the move, the Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP), the apex students' body of Mizoram, said fencing the border will divide the Zo ethnic people between the two countries and bring an end to the Free Movement Regime (FMR). The FMR allows people living on either side of the border enter up to 16 km of each other's country without needing a visa and stay up to two weeks. Th
The Congress on Sunday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi continues to maintain a "total silence" on the situation in Manipur, and alleged that he had committed a "horrific injustice" on the people there. The opposition party's attack came a day after Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh met Home Minister Amit Shah. In a post on X, Congress general secretary Jairam Ramesh tagged a media report on the CM's meeting with Shah and said, "9 months to the day and yet no meeting with the PM who continues to maintain total silence on Manipur." "The PM goes to Guwahati for a road show but cannot and will not go to Imphal," he said. "A horrific ANYAY by the PM on the people of Manipur!" Ramesh added. After meeting Shah, Singh said the Centre is set to take "some important decisions" in the interests of the people of the state. During the meeting "matters of paramount importance" concerning Manipur were discussed. Ethnic violence broke out in Manipur on May 3, 2023 after a tribal solidarity
Catch all the latest updates from across the globe here
Two village volunteers were killed and two others injured after their camp was attacked in Manipur on Tuesday, police said. The incident happened at the camp situated near Kadangband village in Lamshang area at the border of the Imphal West and Kangpokpi districts, they said. The deceased were identified as N Michael, 33, and M Khaba, 23, they added. "Two individuals were killed in a firing incident between armed miscreants at bordering area of Kangpokpi and Imphal West districts," the Police Control Room said in a statement. The injured persons were taken to the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Imphal for treatment, officials said. After the camp was attacked, the village volunteers retaliated, resulting in a gunfight. "Following the retaliation, the attackers retreated, regrouped and attacked again. The gunfight is underway," a police officer said. After the gun battle began, several women, children and elderly from Kadangband and neighbouring Koutruk village fl
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh on Monday said the state is passing through a difficult phase and it is time for the people to unite and identify who the real enemies are. He said this at the flagging-off ceremony of the Imphal Ring Road project. "We are passing through a difficult phase today. This is not the first time that we are facing a difficult phase. During the 1992-1993 ethnic conflict, more than 1,000 lives were lost. Today we are struggling. We are dealing with elements who want to break up a state with more than 2,000 years of history", Singh said. The state has not slept for more than nine months now, he said. "We will never allow them to win or achieve it. More than 3,000 state forces have been deployed at peripheral areas" Singh said and appealed to the people "not to foment disturbances in Imphal Valley. Let the valley be peaceful. Let the protection of Manipur be our sole duty. No more rallies. Let's identify and face the real enemies of the state". He claime
The Congress's 'Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra' is set to resume on Sunday following a two-day hiatus, with Rahul Gandhi rejoining the programme in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district, a senior party leader said. The Yatra, spearheaded by Gandhi, commenced on January 14 from Manipur and traversed into the Coochbehar district of West Bengal from Assam on Thursday morning. After holding a roadshow in Coochbehar on January 25, Gandhi departed for New Delhi as the Yatra underwent a two-day recess. During this interval, the Yatra advanced to Falakata in Alipurduar for a temporary halt. "Rahul Gandhi Ji will arrive at Bagdogra airport at 11:30 am. Subsequently, he will proceed to Jalpaiguri, where the Yatra will recommence. This time, the Yatra will proceed both by bus and on foot, with a night stopover planned near Siliguri on Sunday night," Suvankar Sarkar, a state Congress leader told PTI. On January 29, the Yatra is slated to head towards Islampur in Uttar Dinajpur district before transitioni
One village volunteer was killed and two others were injured during a gunfight between two armed groups in Manipur's Kangpokpi district on Saturday morning, police said. The gunfight broke out after armed miscreants entered the vicinity of the hill village of Satang Kuki and launched a gun and bomb attack. The fighting stopped after the attackers retreated following the arrival of additional backup forces at Satang village, they said. The injured has been rushed to a private hospital in Imphal. One of the injured person received splinter injuries on the face and another on his thigh, hospital sources said. Further details are awaited, they added.
Further, the company now claims to cover more than 95 per cent of the Indian population in terms of its language support options in Microsoft Translator
At least six Assam Rifles personnel were injured after a soldier opened fire at them before killing himself in Manipur's Chandel district, police said on Wednesday. The incident took place in Sajik Tampak area late on Tuesday when the Assam Rifles jawan fired at his colleagues, they said. He later shot himself dead, a police officer said. ... This unfortunate incident should not be correlated with the ongoing ethnic conflict, given the fact that none of the injured are from Manipur. Investigation into the incident has been ordered to ascertain the facts," the Manipur Police said on X. The injured personnel, who are undergoing treatment, are reported to be in stable condition, the officer said.
Women outnumber men by 67,028 in Manipur, as the final photo electoral roll of the northeastern state published on Monday revealed. The final electoral roll also showed a drop of 31,231 voters as compared to the final roll of 2023. The number of voters in 2023 was 20,57,854 while it is 20,26,623 now, according to the final electoral rolls of the two years. "Manipur recorded 20,26,623 electors with 9,79,678 men, 10,46,706 women and 239 third gender voters as per the final rolls for 2024," Chief Electoral Officer Pradeep Kumar Sha said in a statement. The total number of newly enrolled electors is 34,700 with 15,596 men, 19,095 women and nine third-gender electors. The names of 16,509 were deleted from the rolls during the revision period, the statement said. Imphal West district recorded the highest number of electors (3,81,005) followed by Imphal East district (3,23,844). Jiribam district has the least number of voters - 30,776, according to the statement.