You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

Situation along China border serious, Army taking steps: Gen Naravane

Army Chief MM Naravane, said the situation along the LAC is "serious" and added the precautionary steps taken by the Indian Army will help in maintaining the situation

Topics
India China border row | India China relations | Manoj Mukund Naravane

ANI  |  General News 

Manoj Mukund Naravane
Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane. Photo: ANI

Army Chief MM Naravane, who is visiting Leh to review the ongoing border tension with China, on Friday said the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) is "serious" and added the precautionary steps taken by the Indian Army will help in maintaining the situation.

Naravane, who arrived in Ladakh on Thursday said the morale of the jawans are high and they are ready to face any challenge.

"After reaching Leh yesterday, I went to different places and talked to officers and JCOs (Junior Commissioned Officers). I reviewed the situation. The morale of jawans are very high and they are ready to face any challenges. I can say that our jawans are the best," Naravane told ANI.

"The current situation along LAC is a bit delicate (naajuk) and serious (gambhir). But we are thinking about it. For our security we had undertaken some precautionary steps and we are assured that situation will remain unchanged. We have taken steps we will help us," he said.

Brigadier level talks are being held between the Indian Army and the Chinese Army after Indian troops have thwarted the Chinese Army's attempts to transgress into areas in Ladakh.

On the intervening night of August 29-30, the Indian Army thwarted an attempt by the Chinese Army to transgress into Indian areas near the southern bank of Pangong Tso near Chushul in Ladakh.

India and China are engaged in a standoff since April-May over the transgressions by the Chinese Army in multiple areas including Finger area, Galwan valley, Hot springs and Kongrung Nala.

The situation worsened after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in violent clashes with Chinese troops in Galwan valley in June.

The talks between the two sides have been going on for the last three months including five Lieutenant General-level talks but have failed to yield any results, so far.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, September 04 2020. 11:59 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.