You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

OTPCL plans 2000 MW power plant at Rengali

BS Reporter  |  Kolkata/ Bhubaneswar 

The Orissa Thermal Power Corporation Ltd. (OTPCL), a joint venture between the state owned Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) and the Orissa Hydro Power Corporation (OHPC), has decided to set up a 2000 Mw thermal power plant at Rengali in Angul district.

Estimated Rs 8000 crore is proposed to be invested in the project and it is likely to be commissioned by 2014.While OTPCL will have a 30 percent equity in this project and the remaining 70 percent will be mobilised as loans. This was decided at a high level meeting chaired by the state energy minister Surya Narayan Patro here today.

OHPC and OMC had started a joint survey for selecting a suitable location for the project since July 2008. Finally, Rengali in the Angul district was found suitable as 1000 acres of government land was available there. Besdies, the area is scarcely populated.

Sources said, the board meeting of OTPCL is scheduled to be held in next two days where the project will be approved and the chief minister will be formally invited to the ground making ceremony. Energy secretary Pradeep K Jena and other officials were present in the meeting.

First Published: Fri, January 30 2009. 00:00 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU