You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

13-year-old Indian boy forced to eat cheese, dies after allergic reaction

Karanbir Cheema was taken to a west London hospital after becoming unwell during a school break

Press Trust of India  |  London 

Representative Image
Representative Image

A 13-year-old Indian-origin boy with a dairy allergy died here after suffering a severe reaction to a piece of allegedly forced on him, prompting the police to launch a probe, media reports have said.

Karanbir Cheema was taken to a west hospital after becoming unwell during a break.

The head of the in Greenford said Karanbir was treated immediately in the before arrived.

He died on Sunday after 10 days in Great Ormond Street children's hospital, the reports said.

Officers from Ealing borough police were initially called to the school after it "became apparent that an incident had occurred which led to the boy coming into contact with the allergen," the Met said in a statement.

A 13-year-old boy was arrested and released on bail pending further inquiries and the case has been passed to officers.

Karanbir's father, Amarjeet, told the Evening Standard how he had watched his "brilliant" son die in hospital.

"While he was in hospital we were fully concentrated on his condition. Now we want answers. How could this have happened?" Amarjeet said.

A statement on the school's website said: "The school community is deeply saddened at the loss of a Year 8 student who died on Sunday July 9 at hospital following a severe allergic reaction.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, July 12 2017. 14:01 IST