You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

China blocks two WHO team members after failed coronavirus test

The World Health Organisation (WHO) team landed in Wuhan on Thursday to study the cause of the Covid-19 outbreak

Topics
China | Coronavirus | Coronavirus Tests

IANS  |  Hong Kong 

New foreign investment is on track to set another record in 2020, hitting 94% of last year’s total by the end of November
China | Representational image | File

As the World Health Organisation (WHO) team landed in Wuhan on Thursday to study the cause of the Covid-19 outbreak, blocked two members of the 13-member team from travelling to the epicentre of the pandemic after they failed the antibody test in Singapore.

The WHO first tweeted that the team of 13 scientists examining the origins of the virus that causes Covid-19 arrived in Wuhan.

The experts were to begin their work immediately during the two-week quarantine protocol for travellers.

Later, in a separate tweet, WHO said that two members of that team remain in Singapore after they were "tested positive for IgM antibodies".

IgM antibodies are among the earliest potential signs of a infection and false positives are also possible with such tests.

"Two scientists are still in #Singapore completing tests for #COVID19. All team members had multiple negative PCR and antibody tests for COVID-19 in their home countries prior to travelling," the WHO said in a tweet.

"They are being retested for both IgM and IgG antibodies."

IgG is the most common type of antibody found in blood circulation.

At a press conference on Thursday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said the country "will strictly follow the relevant epidemic prevention regulations and requirements, and provide corresponding support and facilities for WHO experts who come to to carry out international cooperation on tracing the origin of the virus".

Asked about the two scientists denied entry, Zhao would not comment, instructing reports to ask "the relevant authorities."

According to the report, this is the second delay for the WHO team, which was due to arrive in earlier this month.

The team was blocked from flying there by the Chinese authorities, triggering a rare rebuke from the United Nations (UN).

"I am very disappointed with this news," said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. "I have been in contact with senior Chinese officials and I have once again made clear that the mission is a priority for WHO and the international team."

The US has also demanded transparency in WHO operations in China.

The overall global caseload has topped 92 million, while the deaths have surged to more than 1.97 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University.

In its latest update on Thursday morning, the University's Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) revealed that the current global caseload and death toll stood at 92,291,033 and 1,961,987, respectively.

The US is the worst-hit country with the world's highest number of cases and deaths at 23,067,796 and 384,604, respectively, according to the CSSE.

India comes in second place in terms of cases at 10,495,147, while the country's death toll soared to 151,529.

--IANS

na/vd

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Thu, January 14 2021. 20:25 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.