You are here: Home » International » News » Politics
Business Standard

In sudden u-turn, NYSE scraps plan to delist three Chinese telecom firms

Hong Kong-traded shares in the state-backed firms, China Mobile Ltd, China Telecom Corp Ltd and China Unicom Hong Kong Ltd, surged following the news

Topics
chinese companies | China | United States bankruptcy code

Pei Li & Tom Westbrook | Reuters  |  HONG KONG/SINGAPORE 

NYSE, STOCK EXCHANGE, us, market, wall street
The bourse, which had planned to delist the companies before Jan. 11, said in a brief statement it had made the decision "in light of further consultation with relevant regulatory authorities."

The New York Stock Exchange said it no longer intends to delist three Chinese telecom giants - a shock reversal of an announcement made only last week and deepening confusion over a US crackdown on firms said to be linked to China's military.

The bourse, which had planned to delist the companies before Jan. 11, said in a brief statement it had made the decision "in light of further consultation with relevant regulatory authorities."

Hong Kong-traded shares in the state-backed firms, Mobile Ltd, Telecom Corp Ltd and Unicom Hong Kong Ltd, surged following the news.

Coming in the final weeks of Donald Trump's presidency, the flip-flop has underscored the lack of clarity about the implementation and implications of the US ban on investment in 35 deemed to have military links.

"(It) shows how little light there is in that set of regulatory guidance so far, especially around the time the US is changing administrations," said Tariq Dennison, managing director at GFM Asset Management in Hong Kong.

Dennison's funds hold China Mobile shares in both Hong Kong and New York. He has almost entirely unwound New York positions in anticipation of needing to find US clients investments with less exposure to risks associated with the investment bans.

Some analysts said they believe the exchange had been told by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, which is responsible for enforcing sanctions, that delistings were unnecessary even though investment in related companies was banned.

"We think this is the logical conclusion," said Jefferies analyst Edison Lee, who called the about-face "bizarre".

Others added that the reversal made sense for the bourse.

"China accounts for at least one-fourth of US (stock exchanges') foreign income. It's a smart thing to do," said Francis Lun, CEO of Geo Securities.

chart

The November order from Trump's administration has prompted index makers including FTSE Russell and MSCI Inc to cut a dozen on the list from their benchmarks, but none removed the three telecom firms, all of which have major passive US funds amongst their top shareholders.

The three telecom firms said in statements that they had taken note of the NYSE's latest announcement and would release information in accordance with regulations, adding that investors should pay attention to investment risks.

China's foreign ministry has lambasted what it calls the US stretching of the concept of national security to suppress

It reiterated on Tuesday that the status of the United States as an financial centre relies on the confidence that global companies and investors have in the certainty of its rules.

A representative for the NYSE, which is owned by global exchange operator Intercontinental Exchange Inc declined to comment beyond the bourse's statement.

The NYSE move briefly lifted the yuan to a new 30-month high on hopes it might herald some kind of easing in geopolitical tension, but some were not optimistic that President-elect Joe Biden will bring about a quick de-escalation.

"He is inheriting a position of tension in US-China relations where he will probably not want his first 100 days to be remembered for instant concessions," said GFM Asset's Dennison.

Hong Kong-listed shares in China Mobile closed 5% higher on Tuesday, China Telecom shares finished up 3% and China Unicom climbed more than 8% to a six-week high while the broader Hang Seng index rose 0.6%.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, January 05 2021. 15:14 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.