You are here: Home » International » News » Politics
Business Standard

Israel gives green light to over 2,000 settlement homes in West Bank

Israeli on Wednesday advanced plans to build over 2,100 new settlement homes in the occupied West Bank, pressing ahead with a building boom that has gained steam during the presidency of Donald Trump

Topics
Israel-Palestine | West Bank

AP  |  Jerusalem 

Palestinians in West Bank protest

Israeli authorities on Wednesday advanced plans to build over 2,100 new settlement homes in the occupied West Bank, pressing ahead with a building boom that has gained steam during the presidency of Donald Trump.

The approval raised the number of settlement homes to be advanced this year to nearly 9,500, according to a settlement watchdog group, by far the highest number of approvals since Trump took office in early 2017.

The Civil Administration's higher planning council, the defense body that grants the approvals, is set to meet again on Thursday, meaning that figure could go even higher.

A string of U.S. administrations, along with the rest of the community, opposed Israeli settlement construction.

But Trump, surrounded by a team of advisers with close ties to the settler movement, has taken a different approach. In contrast to its predecessors, the Trump administration has not criticized or condemned new settlement announcements, and in a landmark decision last year, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. does not consider settlements to be illegal under law.

The Trump administration's Mideast plan, unveiled early this year, calls for leaving 30% of the West Bank, including all of Israel's more than 120 settlements, under permanent Israeli control.

The Palestinians claim all of the West Bank, captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war, as part of a future independent state. They say the growing settler population, approaching 500,000 in the West Bank, has made it increasingly difficult to achieve their dream of independence.

Nabil Abu Rdeneh, spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, condemned Wednesday's announcement, saying the Trump administration's policies, along with moves by two Gulf Arab states the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain to establish formal ties with Israel, have made that goal impossible.

The Netanyahu government is determined to go ahead with its settlement policies to steal Palestinian land, taking advantage of silence, free normalization, and blind support by the Trump administration for the occupation and its settlement policies, he said.

Israel said that some 1,313 housing units have been given final bureaucratic approval for construction to begin, while 853 homes received preliminary approvals that will still require additional review.

The approvals add to a growing pipeline of construction that is expected to take off in the next few years. One of those plans would build 560 homes in Har Gilo, a strategically placed settlement that between the Palestinian city of Bethlehem and Jerusalem.

Peace Now, an anti-settlement watchdog group, said that several hundred units had been previously announced by Israel. But altogether, Israel has now advanced 9,459 settler homes this year, the highest level since Trump took office.

That number is expected to rise further after Thursday's meeting, when as many as 2,500 homes are expected to be approved.

Under its landmark deal establishing ties with the UAE, Israel agreed to freeze a plan to annex parts of the it would keep under the Trump plan. The UAE has said it made this demand to keep Palestinian hopes alive.

This is de facto annexation, said Brian Reeves, a spokesman for Peace Now. We will continue to feel the effects of this when construction begins," he said, regardless of who wins next month's presidential election.

Settler leaders, a key constituency of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, welcomed the announcement.

Shlomo Neeman, head of the Gush Etzion regional council, said settlers had been disappointed by Netanyahu's decision to abandon his annexation plan. But now something tangible is happening. We are building and developing our communities, he said.

The neighboring country of Jordan, which borders the and controlled the area before it was captured by Israel, condemned the Israeli step.

Dhaifallah Ali al-Fayez, spokesman for the Jordanian Foreign Ministry, called the construction illegal and said it undermines the chances of a two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Wed, October 14 2020. 23:03 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.