You are here: Home » News-CM » Equities » Hot Pursuit
Business Standard

ICICI Lombard gains after IRDAI approves acquisition of Bharti AXA General

Capital Market 

The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), on Friday (27 November) approved, in principle, the acquisition of the non-life insurance business of Bharti AXA General Insurance Company by ICICI Lombard General Insurance.

Shares of ICICI Lombard General Insurance were up 2.55% at Rs 1492.80. The stock hit a high of Rs 1500 and a low of Rs 1459.50 so far.

In a statement, ICICI Lombard said it is progressing applications for receipt of requisite approval from other regulators concerned for the transaction.

Earlier in November 2020, Competition Commission of India (CCI), BSE and National Stock Exchange of India had approved the proposed acquisition.

The two companies had announced the proposed merger on 21 August this year. Upon closing of the proposed transaction, the consolidated entity will have a market share of about 8.7% in the non-life business.

Bharti AXA General Insurance is a joint venture between Bharti, an Indian business group with interests in telecom, agriculture business and retail, holding 51% stake and AXA, a global insurance and asset management company, holding the remainder 49% stake.

As a part of the deal, shareholders of the demerged company i.e. Bharti and AXA will be allotted equity shares with Bharti General Ventures shareholders receiving 1.82 crore shares and Societe Beaujon receiving 1.75 crore shares.

Based on the share exchange ratio accepted by the respective boards of the two companies, the shareholders of Bharti AXA shall receive 2 shares of ICICI Lombard for every 115 shares of Bharti AXA held by them as on the date of the approval.

Post demerger, Bharti AXA General Insurance will cease to be a going concern and both Bharti and AXA will be public shareholders while ICICI Bank will continue to hold less than 48.11% stake in ICICI Lombard.

ICICI Lombard General Insurance is a private sector non-life insurer. The company offers a diversified range of products, including motor, health, fire, personal accident, marine, engineering and liability insurance, through multiple distribution channels.

The general insurer reported 35.02% rise in net profit to Rs 415.74 crore in Q2 FY21 as against Rs 307.91 crore in Q2 FY20. Total income increased by 5.28% to Rs 2883.40 crore in Q2 September 2020 compared with Rs 2738.92 crore in Q2 September 2019.

Powered by Capital Market - Live News

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, December 01 2020. 09:32 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU