You are here: Home » News-IANS » Politics
Business Standard

White House reviews military plans against Iran

IANS  |  Washington 

At a meeting of US top national security aides last week, Acting presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the should attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons, administration officials said.

The high-level review of the Pentagon's plans was presented during a meeting on May 9 about broader policys, quoted the officials as saying on Monday.

It was held days after what the described, without evidence, as new intelligence indicating that was mobilising proxy groups in and to attack American force.

As a precaution, the has moved an aircraft carrier, bombers, a interceptor battery and more naval firepower to the Gulf region.

The revisions were ordered by hard-liners led by John Bolton, Trump's They however, did not call for a land invasion of Iran, which would require vastly more troops.

It remains uncertain whether Trump, who has sought to disentangle the US from and Syria, ultimately would send American forces back to the

It is also unclear whether the has been briefed on the number of troops or other details in the plans.

On Monday, when asked about if he was seeking regime change in Iran, Trump said: "We'll see what happens with Iran. If they do anything, it would be a very bad mistake."

"It's going to be a bad problem for Iran if something happens," he added.

European allies who met on Monday said that they were worried that tensions between and could boil over, possibly inadvertently.

According to The New York Times, deploying such a robust air, land and naval force would give more targets to strike, and potentially more reason to do so, risking entangling the US in a drawn out conflict.

It also would reverse years of retrenching by the in the that began with former Barack Obama's withdrawal of troops from in 2011.

The report comes as several were reportedly attacked or sabotaged off the coast of the on Sunday.

Saudi Arabian officials are investigating the apparent sabotage, and American officials suspect that Iran was involved.

An called it a "regretful incident".

--IANS

ksk

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, May 14 2019. 12:34 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU