British and Canadians rank 2nd and 3rd among the 27 nationalities in second annual global Expedia Best Tourist Survey.
The second annual global Best Tourist Survey, conducted by Expedia®, the world’s leading online travel company, has ranked the Japanese as the world’s best tourists overall among the 27 nationalities surveyed.
Around 4,500 hoteliers across the globe provided their opinions on the best travellers overall, as well as on specific categories including politeness, generosity, behaviour, tidiness, fashion sense, willingness to try and speak the local language, and the propensity to complain.
Like last year, the Japanese won the top prize, with hoteliers worldwide naming them as the world’s best tourists. They were ranked not only as the quietest and most polite, but also the cleanest and least likely to complain. The British again came in second place overall, followed by the Canadians.
The survey also revealed that the French hold the unenviable reputation for being the world’s worst tourists. According to hoteliers, as well as being the most frugal and meanest tippers, they can also lay claim to being the most impolite tourists.
Arthur Hoffman, Managing Director, Expedia Asia Pacific, says: “Hoteliers are experts when it comes to interacting with tourists and the annual global Expedia Best Tourist Survey presents some interesting and intriguing perceptions about tourists from around the world.”
The Best and the Worst in this year’s Expedia Best Tourist Survey:
- Worldwide, the Japanese, British, Canadians, Germans and Australians are considered the most polite nations.
- The top three loudest nations are the Americans, Italians and the Spanish
- After the Americans and the British, the next biggest tippers are the Germans and the Japanese
- Canadians and Swiss were the other nationalities named as least likely to complain
Expedia.co.in Top Tips for Indian tourists:
- Read up on the local customs before you travel so that you don’t inadvertently cause insult or offence.
- Be considerate towards locals and other fellow travellers; leave your hotel, restaurant and other sites in a clean and tidy condition.
- Learn some basic words from the local language such as how to say ‘hello’ and ‘good-bye’ and ‘please’ and ‘thank you’; the locals will appreciate the effort.
- Be environmentally conscious on your travels; use water and power sparingly.
- Be mindful that you and your group could well be noisy so try lowering your voice.
- Dress up a little – although you may be on a holiday, show off some of our great Indian clothing designs.
For excellent packages and special deals, visit www.expedia.co.in
About the Expedia Best Tourist Survey – methodology
The survey was conducted during the period 10-23 June 2009 on a total of 4557 hotel managers from Expedia partner hotels worldwide who were randomly selected and contacted via email by the research company, TNS Infratest.
Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE), the world's leading online travel company, operates Expedia.co.in (http://www.expedia.co.in) in India and also has localised versions for travellers in the US, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and China, through its investment in eLong™. Expedia.co.in helps Indians plan and book their travel by providing a wide selection of holiday packages, flights, hotels, rental cars and attractions to suit their travel needs.
Expedia and the Airplane logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the US and/or other countries. TripAdvisor is either a registered trademark or trademark of TripAdvisor LLC, in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.