You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

HC may pronounce verdict on plea to trace missing JNU student Najeeb Ahmed

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The is likely to pronounce Monday its verdict in a plea for tracing JNU student Najeeb Ahmed, who went missing from the university nearly two years ago.

A bench of justices S Muralidhar and Vinod Goel had on September 4 reserved its decision on the petition filed by the student's mother after concluding hearing of arguments of her and that of the CBI, which took over the investigation on May 16 last year.

Ahmed had gone missing from the of the (JNU) on October 15, 2016, following a scuffle with some other students, allegedly affiliated to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the previous night.

The CBI, which took over the probe from the Delhi Police, told the court that it has decided to file a closure report in the case as it has investigated all the angles and does not think that any offence was committed against the missing person.

However, the for the student's mother, Fatima Nafees, contended in court that it was a "political case" and that the "has succumbed to the pressure of its masters".

The CBI, on September 4, had told the high court that it has not yet filed the closure report before the trial court concerned as it wanted to first bring it to the knowledge of the high court.

The had submitted that its investigation was complete as it has probed all the angles left by the and it did not think there was any offence committed against the missing person.

It had said the petition may be disposed of by the high court, after which it will file the closure report before the "and the petitioner may file a protest petition there, if they wish to".

Colin Gonsalves, appearing for Ahmed's mother, had said neither the has done its best in the case nor has it probed the matter in a fair manner.

The petitioner also sought setting up of an SIT comprising independent experts to enquire into the matter.

Ahmed's mother had moved the high court on November 25, 2016, seeking directions to the police to trace her son.

However, as the remained clueless about his whereabouts even seven months after he went missing, the probe was handed over to the CBI on May 16 last year.

The had not opposed the handing over of the investigation in the case, saying that it has done its bit in the matter.

Nafees''s had earlier said the nine suspected students were named in a complaint by 18 students who were eyewitnesses to the alleged assault on Ahmed, yet they were not interrogated.

The nine suspected students have denied all allegations against them.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, October 07 2018. 19:00 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU