Hundreds of firefighters were today battling a large bushfire that was raging near Sydney suburbs, with authorities saying it was "miraculous" no houses had been damaged and no-one had been injured.
New South Wales state police are investigating the cause of the bushfire in south-western Sydney, which started on Saturday afternoon amid unseasonably warm autumn weather and strong winds, with suspicions it was deliberately lit.
The blaze has burnt through more than 2,430 hectares (6,005 acres) so far, with some locals evacuated from their homes.
"It is absolutely miraculous that we have not lost any lives and virtually no property and this is because of the hard work and dedication and heroism of our fire services," the state's acting Emergency Services Minister Mark Speakman told reporters Monday.
Conditions had improved Monday as winds eased, with firefighters working to slow the spread of the flames. They also conducted controlled burns overnight to clear land that could be combustible.
Fitzsimmons said it would be "sickening and reprehensible" if the fire was discovered to have been arson.
He added that a variety of conditions, including a dry summer, contributed to the magnitude of the blaze.
"When you add on to that the unseasonably hot couple of weeks we came into autumn and into the month of April, we were talking about temperatures well and truly in the 30s (degrees Celsius), which were unprecedented," Fitzsimmons said.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)