You are here: Home » PTI Stories » International » News
Business Standard

Will not easily give in to India's demand to deport Zakir Naik: Malaysian PM

Press Trust of India  |  Kuala Lumpur 

Malaysian today said his government would not give in easily just because demanded that controversial Muslim should be deported for alleged terror activities and money laundering, a media report said.

Three days after meeting Naik, wanted in for alleged terror activities and money laundering, the Malaysian said his government would always ensure it looked into all factors before responding to any demand.

"We do not easily follow the demands of others. We must look at all factors before we respond," Mahathir was quoted as saying by the

"Otherwise, someone will become a victim," he said.

Responding to questions on Naik, who is has permanent resident status in Malaysia, and India's request to have him extradited, Mahathir said the government would always ensure it looked into all factors before responding to any demand.

Mahathir last week said the would not be handed over to Indian authorities as he had been granted Malaysian permanent resident status.

The said Zakir, who left in 2016, would be allowed to stay in the country as long as he was not creating any problem.

However, the decision did not sit well with several groups, who insisted the government return to India following his alleged tendecies to make racial and religiously insensitive statements, the report said.

India had made a formal extradition request for to be returned to the country after accusing him of inciting youngsters to commit terror activities through his hate speeches.

A of Malaysia's ruling Parti Pribumi Bersatu (PPBM) had also defended Prime Minister Mahathir's decision not deport to India, saying doing so would be akin to deporting Uighur Muslims to

PPBM said he personally could see no wrong in Naik's activities and speeches.

Deporting him would be akin to deporting Uighur Muslims to China, he said, referring to pressing for the extradition of 11 Uighur men who entered illegally last year after their dramatic escape from a jail in last year.

has also accused the media in India of subjecting him to a campaign of vilification over the past two years.

He has also pledged to expose fake about him soon.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, July 10 2018. 21:30 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU