Iran has agreed to allow in an International Atomic Energy Agency technical team in the coming days to discuss restoring camera surveillance at nuclear sites, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog said Wednesday, calling it an encouraging signal of Iran's attitude toward nuclear talks with the United States. Rafael Mariano Grossi, speaking to reporters in Washington after meeting with Iranian officials in Tehran last week, joined the American and Iranian sides in projecting optimism after a second round of negotiations Saturday over the Islamic Republic's rapidly advancing nuclear programme. Technical-level talks were expected this week. Iranian leaders were engaged with a sense of trying to get to an agreement," Grossi said. That is my impression. The US is looking to ensure Iran doesn't develop nuclear weapons, while Iran wants the easing of sanctions that have damaged its economy. After President Donald Trump pulled the US out of an Iran's nuclear deal with world powers in his fir
Negotiations between Iran and the United States over Tehran's rapidly advancing nuclear program will move Wednesday to what's known as the expert level a sign analysts say shows that the talks are moving forward rapidly. However, experts not involved in the talks who spoke with The Associated Press warn that this doesn't necessarily signal a deal is imminent. Instead, it means that the talks between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and US Mideast envoy Steve Witkoff haven't broken down at what likely is the top-level trade Tehran limiting its atomic program in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. Agreeing to technical talks suggests both sides are expressing pragmatic, realistic objectives for the negotiations and want to explore the details, said Kelsey Davenport, the director for nonproliferation policy at the Arms Control Association who long has studied Iran's nuclear program. If Witkoff was making maximalist demands during his talks with Araghchi, such as ..
The Iranian foreign minister said Saturday that the next round of talks with the United States over Iran's advancing nuclear programme will be in Oman with US envoy Steve Witkoff on April 26. But experts will meet there in the days before. The comments by Abbas Araghchi suggest movement in the second round of talks between the two countries, held Saturday in Rome. There was no immediate readout from the US side after the several hours of meetings at the Omani Embassy in Rome's Camilluccia neighbourhood. The talks were held in a constructive environment and I can say that is moving forward, Araghchi told Iranian state television. I hope that we will be in a better position after the technical talks.
Iran and the United States will hold a second round of talks in Rome on Saturday over Tehran's rapidly advancing nuclear programme. The talks represent a milestone in the fraught relations between the two nations over Iran's programme, which is enriching uranium close to weapons-grade levels. Here's a timeline of the tensions between the two countries over Iran's atomic programme. Early days 1967 Iran takes possession of its Tehran Research Reactor under America's Atoms for Peace programme. 1979 Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, fatally ill, flees Iran as popular protests against him surge. Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini returns to Tehran and the Islamic Revolution sweeps him to power. Students seize the United States Embassy in Tehran, beginning the 444-day hostage crisis. Iran's nuclear program goes fallow under international pressure. August 2002 Western intelligence services and an Iranian opposition group reveal Iran's secret Natanz nuclear enrichment facility. June 2003 Britai
The talks between Iran and the United States over Tehran's rapidly advancing nuclear program had appeared ready Monday to leave the Middle East, as an Italian source and others said the next round of negotiations would take place in Rome. However, Iran early Tuesday insisted they'd again be held in Oman. It wasn't immediately clear where the negotiations would be held after Tehran's overnight announcement. American officials have not said where the talks would be held. President Donald Trump separately complained Monday about the pace of nuclear talks between the United States and Iran as the two countries start a new round of pivotal negotiations. I think they're tapping us along, he said in the Oval Office during a meeting with El Salvador's president. The next meeting had been expected to take place on Saturday in Rome, according to a source in the Italian government who spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because they weren't authorized to speak publicly. ...
Ali Larijani, an adviser to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said while Iran was not pursuing nuclear weapons, an attack would leave it with no choice but to defend itself, according to media reports
Iranian state media said Thursday that Iran has sent an official response to a letter from US President Donald Trump to the Iranian supreme leader that was seen as an attempt to jumpstart talks over Tehran's nuclear programme. The Iranian response was appropriately sent through Oman on Wednesday, state-run IRNA news agency quoted Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi as saying. No details have been released of the Iranian response nor the contents of Trump's letter to 85-year-old Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, which came as the Trump administration levied new sanctions on Iran as part of its maximum pressure campaign. Araghchi, which not discussing details of the letters, said that Iran's policy "remains firm on not engaging in direct negotiations under maximum pressure and military threats. However, he said that indirect talks, which have taken place under previous administrations, could continue. Trump letter was handed to Iranian officials by Anwar Gargash, a senior Emirati diplomat, while h
Representatives of China, Russia and Iran called Friday for an end to US sanctions on Iran over its rapidly advancing nuclear program and a restart to multinational talks on the issue. The talks are the latest attempt to broach the matter and come after US President Donald Trump wrote to Iran's supreme leader in an attempt to jumpstart talks. The letter, which hasn't been published, was offered as Trump levied new sanctions on Iran as part of his maximum pressure campaign that holds out the possibility of military action while emphasising he still believed a new deal could be reached. The three nations who met Friday morning emphasised the necessity of terminating all unlawful unilateral sanctions, China's Vice Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu read from a joint statement, flanked by Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Ryabkov Sergey Alexeevich and Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi. The three countries reiterated that political and diplomatic engagement and dialogue based on t
Iran is among the most sanctioned countries in the world and the vast majority of the penalties are enforced by the US government and directly target crucial oil exports
Iran said Sunday it would consider negotiations with the United States if the talks were confined to concerns about the militarization of its nuclear program. In a statement posted on X, the country's U.N. mission said: If the objective of negotiations is to address concerns vis--vis any potential militarization of Iran's nuclear program, such discussions may be subject to consideration. A day earlier, Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei had rejected talks with the U.S., because he said they would be aimed at imposing restrictions on Iran's missile program and its influence in the region. Khamenei's remarks came a day after President Donald Trump acknowledged sending a letter to him seeking a new deal with Tehran to restrain its rapidly advancing nuclear program and replace the nuclear deal he withdrew America from during his first term in office. Khamenei said U.S. demands would be both military and related to the regional influence of Iran. He said such talks would not solve probl
Donald Trump seeks to renegotiate the Iran nuclear deal he abandoned in 2018, but Iran's Supreme Leader Khamenei rejects the offer, calling the US a 'bully'
The comments came on Saturday, US President Donald Trump said earlier this week that he sent a letter to the Iranian leadership seeking to initiate talks on a nuclear deal
White House officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Neither Russia nor Iran have publicly confirmed or denied the request
In 2018, then-President Trump ditched Tehran's 2015 nuclear pact with world powers and reimposed sanctions that have crippled the country's economy
The US has long accused Tehran of using a decades-old civilian nuclear program to disguise ambitions to develop weapons, a claim repeatedly denied by Iran
Iran's government seems to be welcoming some recent decisions by the United States even though they happen to come from a man Iranian operatives have allegedly been plotting to assassinate. President Donald Trump's moves to freeze spending on foreign aid and overhaul, maybe even end, the US Agency for International Development have been lauded in Iranian state media. The reports say the decisions will halt funding for opponents of the country's Shiite theocracy pro-democracy activists and others supported through programs as part of US government's efforts to help democracy worldwide. At the same time, Iranian officials appear to be signalling that they are waiting for a message from Trump on whether he wants to negotiate over Tehran's rapidly advancing nuclear program. At stake are potentially billions of dollars withheld from Iran through crushing sanctions and the future of a program on the precipice of enriching weapons-grade uranium. And even when signing an executive order
Trump's directive orders the US Treasury secretary to impose "maximum economic pressure" on Iran, including sanctions and enforcement mechanisms on those violating existing sanctions
Hamas leader Hanieyh's killing came hours after top Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr was killed in an Israeli air attack on the southern suburbs of Lebanon's capital, Beirut, on July 31
More enrichment capacity means Iran can enrich uranium more quickly, potentially increasing the nuclear proliferation risk
Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei later said the deputy foreign ministers of Iran, France, Germany and Britain would take part in the talks