Friday, February 20, 2026 | 08:05 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Us-iran Tensions

Oil prices rise to 6-month high as Trump puts time limit on Iran stand-off

The major oil producer lies opposite the oil-rich Arabian Peninsula across the Strait of Hormuz, through which about 20 per cent of global oil supply passes

Oil prices rise to 6-month high as Trump puts time limit on Iran stand-off
Updated On : 20 Feb 2026 | 7:46 AM IST

US sends largest force of warships, aircraft to Middle East in decades

The Pentagon is sending the largest force of American warships and aircraft to the Middle East in decades, including two aircraft carrier strike groups, as President Donald Trump warns of possible military action against Iran if talks over its nuclear program fall apart. "It's proven to be, over the years, not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran, and we have to make a meaningful deal," Trump said Thursday. "Otherwise bad things happen." Trump likely will have a host of military options, which could include surgical attacks on Iran's air defenses or strikes focused on Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, experts say. But they warn that Iran could retaliate in ways it hadn't following attacks last year by the U.S. or Israel, potentially risking American lives and sparking a regional war. "It will be very hard for the Trump administration to do a one-and-done kind of attack in Iran this time around," said Ali Vaez, an Iran expert at the International Crisis Group. "Because the .

US sends largest force of warships, aircraft to Middle East in decades
Updated On : 20 Feb 2026 | 7:38 AM IST

US sends largest force of warships, aircraft to Middle East in decades

The Pentagon is sending the largest force of American warships and aircraft to the Middle East in decades, including two aircraft carrier strike groups, as President Donald Trump warns of possible military action against Iran if talks over its nuclear program fall apart. "It's proven to be, over the years, not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran, and we have to make a meaningful deal," Trump said Thursday. "Otherwise bad things happen." Trump likely will have a host of military options, which could include surgical attacks on Iran's air defenses or strikes focused on Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, experts say. But they warn that Iran could retaliate in ways it hadn't following attacks last year by the U.S. or Israel, potentially risking American lives and sparking a regional war. "It will be very hard for the Trump administration to do a one-and-done kind of attack in Iran this time around," said Ali Vaez, an Iran expert at the International Crisis Group. "Because the .

US sends largest force of warships, aircraft to Middle East in decades
Updated On : 20 Feb 2026 | 7:38 AM IST

Meaningful deal in 10 days or 'bad' things will happen: Trump warns Iran

"Otherwise bad things happen," Trump, who has repeatedly threatened to attack Iran, told the first meeting of his Board of Peace in Washington

Meaningful deal in 10 days or 'bad' things will happen: Trump warns Iran
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 10:17 PM IST

Marco Rubio plans to visit Israel to brief Netanyahu on US-Iran talks

Secretary of State Marco Rubio plans to travel to Israel next week to update Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the US-Iran nuclear talks, two Trump administration officials said. Rubio is expected to meet with Netanyahu on Feb. 28, according to the officials, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity to detail travel plans that have not yet been announced. The U.S. and Iran recently have held two rounds of indirect talks over the Islamic Republic's nuclear program. Officials from both sides publicly offered some muted optimism about progress this week, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi even saying that "a new window has opened" for reaching an agreement. "In some ways, it went well," US Vice President JD Vance said about the talks in an interview Tuesday with Fox News Channel. "But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through." Netanyahu visited the

Marco Rubio plans to visit Israel to brief Netanyahu on US-Iran talks
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 9:04 AM IST

Marco Rubio plans to visit Israel to brief Netanyahu on US-Iran talks

Secretary of State Marco Rubio plans to travel to Israel next week to update Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the US-Iran nuclear talks, two Trump administration officials said. Rubio is expected to meet with Netanyahu on Feb. 28, according to the officials, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity to detail travel plans that have not yet been announced. The U.S. and Iran recently have held two rounds of indirect talks over the Islamic Republic's nuclear program. Officials from both sides publicly offered some muted optimism about progress this week, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi even saying that "a new window has opened" for reaching an agreement. "In some ways, it went well," US Vice President JD Vance said about the talks in an interview Tuesday with Fox News Channel. "But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through." Netanyahu visited the

Marco Rubio plans to visit Israel to brief Netanyahu on US-Iran talks
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 9:04 AM IST

Trump asks UK PM Starmer not to 'give away Diego Garcia' amid Iran threat

Trump said that the US might use Diego Garcia to eradicate a potential attack by Iran in case it does not agree to a nuclear deal following the talks in Geneva

Trump asks UK PM Starmer not to 'give away Diego Garcia' amid Iran threat
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 7:20 AM IST

Trump asks UK PM Starmer not to 'give away Diego Garcia' amid Iran threat

Trump said that the US might use Diego Garcia to eradicate a potential attack by Iran in case it does not agree to a nuclear deal following the talks in Geneva

Trump asks UK PM Starmer not to 'give away Diego Garcia' amid Iran threat
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 7:20 AM IST

Diplomacy 1st option, Iran would be wise to make nuclear deal: White House

Earlier on Tuesday (local time), US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner held discussions with Iranian authorities in Geneva

Diplomacy 1st option, Iran would be wise to make nuclear deal: White House
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 6:54 AM IST

Diplomacy 1st option, Iran would be wise to make nuclear deal: White House

Earlier on Tuesday (local time), US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner held discussions with Iranian authorities in Geneva

Diplomacy 1st option, Iran would be wise to make nuclear deal: White House
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 6:54 AM IST

Iran says it agreed with US on principles for potential nuclear deal

The two sides will each draft and exchange texts for a deal before setting a date for a third round of talks, he said, cautioning that the next stage would be "more difficult and detailed"

Iran says it agreed with US on principles for potential nuclear deal
Updated On : 18 Feb 2026 | 11:02 PM IST

Iran temporarily closes Strait of Hormuz for drills as talks with US resume

Iran announced the temporary closure of the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday for live fire military drills in a rare show of force as its negotiators held another round of indirect talks with the United States in Geneva over its disputed nuclear programme. It was the first time Iran has announced the closure of the key international waterway, through which 20 per cent of the world's oil passes, since the US began threatening Iran and rushing military assets to the region. It marks a further escalation in a weekslong standoff that could ignite another war in the Middle East. As the talks began, Iran's state media announced that it had fired live missiles toward the Strait and would close it for several hours for "safety and maritime concerns." The semiofficial Tasnim news agency, which is close to the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, said missiles launched inside Iran and along its coast had struck their targets in the Strait. Iranian state TV later said the talks had wrapped up after

Iran temporarily closes Strait of Hormuz for drills as talks with US resume
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 11:09 PM IST

Nuclear talks with US in Geneva end after 3-hour meet: Iranian state media

Iranian state TV says the latest round of nuclear talks between Iran and the United States ended after almost three hours. The negotiations held in Geneva came as Iran announced the closure of the Strait of Hormuz for live fire drills. The US and Iran were holding their second round of talks about Iran's nuclear programme on Tuesday in Geneva as Iran said it will close the Strait of Hormuz for several hours for live fire military exercises and the United States ramps up its military forces in the region.

Nuclear talks with US in Geneva end after 3-hour meet: Iranian state media
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 10:56 PM IST

Trump asks Iran to be 'reasonable' in next round of nuclear talks in Geneva

Iran and the United States held the previous rounds of nuclear talks in April 2025 in Muscat, Oman, and Rome, Italy

Trump asks Iran to be 'reasonable' in next round of nuclear talks in Geneva
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 8:26 AM IST

Trump asks Iran to be 'reasonable' in next round of nuclear talks in Geneva

Iran and the United States held the previous rounds of nuclear talks in April 2025 in Muscat, Oman, and Rome, Italy

Trump asks Iran to be 'reasonable' in next round of nuclear talks in Geneva
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 8:26 AM IST

Three US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran likely seized by India

The seizures and heightened surveillance follow an improvement in US-India relations

Three US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran likely seized by India
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 7:22 AM IST

Three US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran likely seized by India

The seizures and heightened surveillance follow an improvement in US-India relations

Three US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran likely seized by India
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 7:22 AM IST

Iran meets UN nuclear watchdog in Geneva ahead of second round of US talks

Iran's top diplomat met with the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency on Monday, ahead of a second round of negotiations with the United States over Tehran's nuclear program. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met with Rafael Grossi, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and said he would also meet with Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi of Oman, which is hosting the US-Iran talks in Geneva on Tuesday. "I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal," Araghchi wrote on X. "What is not on the table: submission before threats." Iran open to compromise in exchange for sanctions relief ------------------------------------------------------------ On Sunday, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi signaled that Tehran could be open to compromise on the nuclear issue, but is looking for an easing of international sanctions led by the United States. "The ball is in America's court. They have to prove they want to have a deal w

Iran meets UN nuclear watchdog in Geneva ahead of second round of US talks
Updated On : 16 Feb 2026 | 10:37 PM IST

Iran foreign minister to meet UN nuclear chief ahead of talks with US

Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and special envoy Steve Witkoff are expected to head the US delegation

Iran foreign minister to meet UN nuclear chief ahead of talks with US
Updated On : 16 Feb 2026 | 2:24 PM IST

Iran foreign minister to meet UN nuclear chief ahead of talks with US

Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and special envoy Steve Witkoff are expected to head the US delegation

Iran foreign minister to meet UN nuclear chief ahead of talks with US
Updated On : 16 Feb 2026 | 2:24 PM IST