Tuesday, May 19, 2026 | 10:25 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Us Pentagon

NYT sues Pentagon for second time over Hegseth's media restrictions

The New York Times sued the Defence Department on Monday for the second time in five months, arguing that a requirement that journalists be escorted while on Pentagon grounds violates the First Amendment. The escort policy is "an unconstitutional attempt by the Pentagon to prevent independent reporting on military affairs," a Times spokesman, Charlie Stadtlander, said in an email to The Associated Press. "As we have said before: Americans deserve visibility into how their government is being run, and the actions the military is taking in their name and with their tax dollars." On X, Defence Department spokesperson Sean Parnell called the Times' latest lawsuit "nothing more than an attempt to remove the barriers to them getting their hands on classified information." Continuing tension between the administration and the media ------------------------------------------------------------------- The Times lawsuit is another salvo in what has become an escalating tension between the U

NYT sues Pentagon for second time over Hegseth's media restrictions
Updated On : 19 May 2026 | 7:23 AM IST

Crew members eject safely after 2 US Navy jets crash during Idaho air show

All four crew members ejected safely after two Navy jets collided and crashed Sunday during an air show at the Mountain Home Air Force Base in western Idaho, officials said. The collision involved two US Navy EA18-G Growlers from the Electronic Attack Squadron 129 in Whidbey Island, Washington, said Cmdr Amelia Umayam, spokesperson for Naval Air Forces, US Pacific Fleet. The aircraft were performing an aerial demonstration when the crash occurred, Umayam said in a statement. The four crew members from both jets safely ejected, and the crash was under investigation, she said. The crew members were in stable condition, base officials said. Nobody at the military base was hurt, said Kim Sykes, marketing director with Silver Wings of Idaho, which helped to plan the air show. "Everyone is safe, and I think that's the most important thing," Sykes said. Planes fell to the ground together ----------------------------------- The base said in a social media post that it was locked down .

Crew members eject safely after 2 US Navy jets crash during Idaho air show
Updated On : 18 May 2026 | 6:45 AM IST

Pentagon halts deployments to Poland, Germany to reduce troops in Europe

The Pentagon is drawing down thousands of troops in Europe by cancelling deployments to Poland and Germany as opposed to yanking forces already stationed there, US officials say, as President Donald Trump has tussled with allies over the Iran war and called for changes. Several U.S. officials confirmed that 4,000 troops from the Army's 2nd Armoured Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division were no longer en route to Poland this week. The Trump administration had previously said it was cutting US forces only in Germany, and the decision spurred questions and criticism in both Warsaw and Washington. Two officials told The Associated Press that the deployments were canceled after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth signed a memo directing the Joint Chiefs of Staff to move a brigade combat team out of Europe. One of them said the choice of which unit was left to military leaders. Besides the Army combat team based in Fort Hood, Texas, the memo also led to the cancellation of an upcoming ...

Pentagon halts deployments to Poland, Germany to reduce troops in Europe
Updated On : 16 May 2026 | 6:59 AM IST

US to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany in 6-12 months amid Nato feud

The United States will withdraw about 5,000 troops from Germany in the next six to 12 months, the Pentagon said Friday, fulfilling President Donald Trump's threat as he clashes with the German leader over the US war with Iran. Trump had threatened to withdraw some troops from the NATO ally earlier this week after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the US was being "humiliated" by the Iranian leadership and criticised Washington's lack of strategy in the war. Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement that the "decision follows a thorough review of the Department's force posture in Europe and is in recognition of theatre requirements and conditions on the ground." The US has several major military facilities in Germany, including the headquarters for US European Command and US Africa Command, Ramstein Air Base, and Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, the largest American hospital outside the United States. The number of troops leaving Germany would be 14 per cent of the 36,000 .

US to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany in 6-12 months amid Nato feud
Updated On : 02 May 2026 | 4:25 PM IST

Tech giants Microsoft, Amazon hand Pentagon more control over AI systems

Nvidia Corp., Microsoft Corp., Reflection AI Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. have all newly struck agreements with the US Defence Department 'for lawful operational use' of its AI systems

Tech giants Microsoft, Amazon hand Pentagon more control over AI systems
Updated On : 02 May 2026 | 9:35 AM IST

Pentagon claims US blockade has cost Iran nearly $4.8 bn in oil revenue

The Department of War assessment suggests Iran has been denied close to $5 billion in oil earnings due to disruptions linked to US enforcement operations in the region

Pentagon claims US blockade has cost Iran nearly $4.8 bn in oil revenue
Updated On : 02 May 2026 | 7:38 AM IST

Pentagon pegs Iran war cost at $25 bn as Hegseth slams US Congress critics

During his first public appearance on Capitol Hill since the war began, the defence secretary lashed out at lawmakers in both parties who have questioned the conflict

Pentagon pegs Iran war cost at $25 bn as Hegseth slams US Congress critics
Updated On : 30 Apr 2026 | 8:42 AM IST

US Navy Secretary ousted after infighting with top Pentagon leaders

A White House official said Trump and Hegseth agreed new leadership was needed over the Navy

US Navy Secretary ousted after infighting with top Pentagon leaders
Updated On : 23 Apr 2026 | 11:26 PM IST

US Navy Secretary John Phelan exits abruptly in latest Pentagon shake-up

Navy Secretary John Phelan is leaving his job, the Pentagon abruptly announced Wednesday, the first head of a military service to depart during President Donald Trump's second term but just the latest top defense leader to step down or be ousted. No reason was given for the unexpected departure of the Navy's top civilian official, coming as the sea service has imposed a blockade of Iranian ports and is targeting ships linked to Tehran around the world during a tenuous ceasefire in the war. Another Trump loyalist is taking over as acting head of the Navy: Undersecretary Hung Cao, a 25-year Navy combat veteran who ran unsuccessful campaigns for the U.S. Senate and House in Virginia. Phelan's departure is the latest in a series of shakeups of top leadership at the Pentagon, coming just weeks after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth fired the Army's top uniformed officer, Gen. Randy George. Hegseth also has fired several other top generals, admirals and defense leaders since taking office ..

Image
Updated On : 23 Apr 2026 | 6:43 AM IST

US judge finds Pentagon violating order to restore access to reporters

A US federal judge on Thursday ruled that the Defence Department is violating his earlier order to restore access to the Pentagon for reporters. US District Judge Paul Friedman sided with The New York Times earlier this month in deciding that the Pentagon's new credential policy violated journalists' constitutional rights to free speech and due process. He sided again with the Times in saying that the Pentagon had tried to evade his ruling by putting in new rules that expel all reporters from the building unless guided by escorts. "The department simply cannot reinstate an unlawful policy under the guise of taking new action and expect the court to look the other way," Friedman wrote. Friedman had ordered Pentagon officials to reinstate the press credentials of seven Times reporters and stressed that his decision applies to "all regulated parties". The Pentagon building serves as the headquarters for US military operations.

US judge finds Pentagon violating order to restore access to reporters
Updated On : 10 Apr 2026 | 7:21 AM IST

Foreign Secretary Misri reviews defence, trade ties with US officials

India's Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri met senior US defence official Michael Duffey and discussed ways to further deepen the defence industrial, technology and supply chain linkages between the two countries. Misri, who is on a three-day visit here, had a "fruitful interaction" with Duffey, the Under Secretary in the Department of Defence for Acquisition and Sustainment at the Pentagon near here. "Foreign Secretary Shri Vikram Misri had a fruitful interaction with the Under Secretary of War for Acquisition & Sustainment Mike Duffey @USDASDuffey at the Pentagon," the Indian Embassy in the US said in a post on X. "The two principals discussed ways to further deepen the defence industrial, technology and supply chain linkages between India and the US, in line with the ambitious goals laid out in the Framework for the bilateral Major Defence Partnership signed last year," the embassy said. Misri also met under secretaries Jeffrey Kessler and William Kimmitt in the Department of ...

Foreign Secretary Misri reviews defence, trade ties with US officials
Updated On : 09 Apr 2026 | 7:39 AM IST

Iran begged for ceasefire, says Hegseth, declares US victory in conflict

Hegseth said the United States had met its key military objectives, including targeting Iran's missile capabilities, naval forces, and defence infrastructure

Iran begged for ceasefire, says Hegseth, declares US victory in conflict
Updated On : 08 Apr 2026 | 7:41 PM IST

Britain woos Anthropic to expand after clash with Pentagon: Report

The US government blacklisted Anthropic,designating the company a national-security supply-chain risk after it refused to allow the military to use AI chatbot Claude for US surveillance

Britain woos Anthropic to expand after clash with Pentagon: Report
Updated On : 05 Apr 2026 | 10:53 PM IST

Pentagon rejects claim of Hegseth's alleged investment, seeks retraction

According to reports, a broker representing US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth sought to invest in a major US defence-focused fund in the weeks leading up to the US-Israeli military action against Iran

Pentagon rejects claim of Hegseth's alleged investment, seeks retraction
Updated On : 31 Mar 2026 | 8:47 AM IST

Pentagon preparing for weeks of ground operations in Iran: Report

Trump administration has deployed US Marines to the West Asia as the war in Iran stretches into its fifth week, and also has been planning to send thousands of soldiers from the US Army's 82nd Airbase

Pentagon preparing for weeks of ground operations in Iran: Report
Updated On : 29 Mar 2026 | 9:32 AM IST
US views India with deep respect: Under Secy of War concludes India visit
Updated On : 27 Mar 2026 | 10:49 AM IST

US judge blocks Pentagon from branding Anthropic as supply chain risk

A federal judge has ruled in favour of artificial intelligence company Anthropic in temporarily blocking the Pentagon from labelling the company as a supply chain risk. US District Judge Rita Lin on Thursday said she was also blocking President Donald Trump's directive ordering all federal agencies to stop using Anthropic. Lin's ruling followed a 90-minute hearing in San Francisco federal court on Tuesday at which Lin questioned why the Trump administration took the extraordinary step of denouncing Anthropic as a supply chain risk after negotiations over a defence contract went sour over the company's attempt to prevent its AI technology from being deployed in fully autonomous weapons or surveillance of Americans. Anthropic, maker of the chatbot Claude, had asked Lin to issue an emergency order to remove a stigma that the company alleges was unjustifiably applied as part of an "unlawful campaign of retaliation" that provoked the San Francisco-based company to sue the Trump ...

US judge blocks Pentagon from branding Anthropic as supply chain risk
Updated On : 27 Mar 2026 | 7:44 AM IST

Judge questions Trump admin over 'security risk' tag on Anthropic

Artificial intelligence company Anthropic is asking a federal judge on Tuesday to temporarily halt the Pentagon's "unprecedented and stigmatising" designation of the company as a supply chain risk. A hearing scheduled for Tuesday in a California federal court marks a critical step in the feud between Anthropic and the Trump administration over how the company's AI technology could be used in war. Anthropic sued earlier this month to stop the Trump administration from enforcing what the company calls an "unlawful campaign of retaliation" over its refusal to allow unrestricted military use of its technology. The company is asking US District Judge Rita Lin for an emergency order that would temporarily reverse the Pentagon's decision to designate the AI company a "supply chain risk". Anthropic also seeks to undo President Donald Trump's order directing all federal employees, not just those in the military, to stop using its AI chatbot Claude. Lin is presiding over the case in federal

Judge questions Trump admin over 'security risk' tag on Anthropic
Updated On : 25 Mar 2026 | 7:47 AM IST

Federal judge rejects Trump admin's restrictions on Pentagon reporters

The court ruled in favor of a lawsuit brought by the New York Times, which accused the administration of free speech violations

Federal judge rejects Trump admin's restrictions on Pentagon reporters
Updated On : 21 Mar 2026 | 7:46 AM IST

Pentagon seeks $200 billion more to fund ongoing Iran war: Report

The Pentagon is seeking USD 200 billion in additional funds for the Iran war, a senior administration official says. The department sent the request to the White House, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private information. It's an extraordinarily high number and comes on top of extra funding the Defence Department already received last year in President Donald Trump's big tax cuts bill. Congress is bracing for a new spending request but it is not clear the White House has transmitted the request for consideration. It is unclear the spending request would have support. The new funding request was first reported by The Washington Post. Asked about the figure at a press conference Thursday, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth did not directly confirm the figure, saying it could change. But he said "we're going back to Congress and our folks there to to ensure that we're properly funded". "It takes money to kill bad guys," Hegseth said.

Pentagon seeks $200 billion more to fund ongoing Iran war: Report
Updated On : 19 Mar 2026 | 9:09 PM IST