The Pentagon is sending about 3,000 more active-duty troops to the US-Mexico border as President Donald Trump seeks to clamp down on illegal immigration and fulfil a central promise of his campaign, US officials said Saturday. His defence secretary, Pete Hegseth, has ordered elements of a Stryker brigade combat team and a general support aviation battalion for the mission, the Pentagon announced. The forces will arrive along the nearly 2,000-mile border in the coming weeks. The Defence Department's statement did not specify the size of the deployment, but it was put at about 3,000 by the officials, who were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity. The Strykers are medium-armoured wheeled personnel carriers. Already, about 9,200 US troops in total are at the southern border, including 4,200 deployed under federal orders and about 5,000 National Guard troops under the control of governors. The new troops will reinforce and expand current bor
The military services have 30 days to figure out how they will seek out and identify transgender service members to remove them from the force a daunting task that may end up relying on troops self-reporting or tattling on their colleagues. A memo sent to Defense Department leaders on Thursday after the Pentagon filed it late Wednesday as part of a response to a lawsuit orders the services to set up procedures to identify troops diagnosed with or being treated for gender dysphoria by March 26. They will then have 30 days to begin removing those troops from service. The order expands on the executive order signed by President Donald Trump during his early days in office setting out steps toward banning transgender individuals from serving in the military. The directive has been challenged in court. Initial but incomplete counts of transgender troops easily identifiable through medical records is in the hundreds, US officials said. That's a tiny fraction of the 2.1 million troops .
Building lethality in the military may be the buzzword for the new Trump administration, but busywork and paperwork have become the reality at the Pentagon, as service members and civilian workers are facing a broad mandate to purge all of the department's social media sites and untangle confusing personnel reduction moves. On Wednesday, the department's top public affairs official signed and sent out a new memo requiring all the military services to spend countless hours poring over years of website postings, photos, news articles and videos to remove any mentions that promote diversity, equity and inclusion. If they can't do that by March 5, they have been ordered to temporarily remove from public display" all content published during the Biden administration's four years in office, according to a copy of the memo obtained by The Associated Press. The new directive comes as the military services also are scrambling to identify probationary workers the administration has targeted f
The Defence Department has said that it's cutting 5,400 probationary workers starting next week and will put a hiring freeze in place. It comes after staffers from the Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE, were at the Pentagon earlier in the week and received lists of such employees, US officials said Friday. They said those lists did not include uniformed military personnel, who are exempt. Probationary employees are generally those on the job for less than a year and who have yet to gain civil service protection. "We anticipate reducing the Department's civilian workforce by 5-8 per cent to produce efficiencies and refocus the Department on the President's priorities and restoring readiness in the force," Darin Selnick, who is acting undersecretary of defence for personnel and readiness, said in a statement. Probationary employees are generally those on the job for less than a year and who have yet to gain civil service protection. President Donald Trump's administration
Hegseth has committed to redirecting Pentagon spending to more directly support war fighters
Department of Government Efficiency staffers were at the Pentagon on Tuesday and receiving lists of the military's probationary employees, US officials said. However, it was not clear that all probationary personnel would be let go -- instead, some might be exempted due to the critical nature of their work. The military services each had until end of business to identify their probationary employees. The affected personnel would include defence civilians who are still new to their jobs, not uniformed military personnel, who are exempt, according to the four officials who spoke to AP on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters. The potential cuts at the Pentagon, first reported by The Washington Post, follow reductions at other federal agencies, where probationary employees who were conducting critical functions and had high-level clearances, including staff at the National Nuclear Security Administration, were fired despite their role. The vast majority of the fired
The Pentagon will deploy roughly 1,500 more active duty soldiers to the southern border to support President Donald Trump's expanding crackdown on immigration, a U.S. official said Friday. That would eventually bring the total to about 3,600 active duty troops at the border. The order has been approved, the official said, to send a logistics brigade from the 18th Airborne Corps at Fort Liberty in North Carolina. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the deployment has not yet been publicly announced. The Pentagon has been scrambling to put in motion Trump's executive orders signed shortly after he took office on Jan. 20. The first group of 1,600 active duty troops has already deployed to the border, and close to 500 more soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division are expected to begin moving in the coming days. About 500 Marines also have been told to go to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where some of the detained migrants will be held. Several hundred Marines have already arri
The newly deployed troops will help set up barriers, transport detainees, and provide intelligence and logistical support
Each year going forward, one outlet from print, online, television and radio will rotate out of the Pentagon to allow a new outlet from the same medium that has not had unique opportunity to report
The Defence Department will no longer reimburse service members for travel out of state to get reproductive health care, including abortions and fertility treatments, according to a new memo. The directive signed this week eliminates a rarely used Biden administration policy enacted in October 2022, after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and more states began to impose increased abortion restrictions. Signed on Wednesday by Jeffrey Register, the director of the Pentagon's human resources department, the memo simply shows red lines crossing out the previous regulation and offers no other guidance. Asked if service members would still be allowed time off to travel at their own expense, the department had no immediate answer. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, called the policy change shameful. Our service members go wherever they need to in order to bravely serve our country and because President Trump's extremist Supreme Court
The move came after defence officials raised concerns that Pentagon workers were using the tool, the person said
The Chinese military has denounced a recent Pentagon report alleging corruption is denting PLA's modernisation, saying the report "desperately slandered" the Chinese military and "exaggerated" the military threat posed by China. Reacting to the Pentagon's report to the US Congress titled "Military and Security Developments Involving the People's Republic of China" released recently, the Chinese Defence Ministry accused Washington of fabricating false narratives against the People's Liberation Army (PLA). The report "misinterpreted China's defence policies, speculated about China's military capacity development, flagrantly interfered in China's domestic affairs, desperately slandered the Chinese military and exaggerated the so-called military threat posed by China, Defence spokesperson Zhang Xiaogang said on Saturday. China "strongly deplores and firmly opposes" all these statements, Zhang was quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency. Zhang said that for over 20 years, t
He explained that such fluctuations in numbers of personnel are often quite common, and that the additional forces have been in place since before the December 8 downfall of Syrian President
The defence relationship between India and the United States is accelerating and advancing in terrific and exciting ways, the Pentagon has said amidst the transition from the Joe Biden administration to that of President-elect Donald Trump. "The US-India defence relationship stands on its own. It is accelerating and advancing in terrific and exciting ways, both as it relates to defence industrial base cooperation as well as operational cooperation across the services," Ely Ratner, Assistant Secretary of Defence for Indo-Pacific Security Affairs, told reporters at a news conference here. "It (the India-US defence ties) is a continuing growth area, even as the India-China relationship waxes and wanes," Ratner said in response to a question. India has been accorded the status of Major Defence Partnership by the United States. Biden administration officials have described the defence ties as one of the key pillars of this relationship. This fall, India concluded an agreement with the U
The Defense Department provided equipment capable both of detecting drones and disabling them
Since last year, China's military has undergone a sweeping anti-corruption purge
Pentagon Press Secretary Major General, Pat Ryder, in a press briefing, clarified that none of the drones were assets of the US Department of Defence
Ukraine's military intelligence agency and the Pentagon said Monday that some North Korean troops have been killed during combat against Ukrainian forces in Russia's Kursk border region. These are the first reported casualties since the US and Ukraine announced that North Korea had sent 10,000 to 12,000 troops to Russia to help it in the almost 3-year war. Ukraine's military intelligence agency said around 30 North Korean troops were killed or wounded during battle with the Ukrainian army over the weekend. The casualties occurred around three villages in Kursk, where Russia has for four months been trying to quash a Ukrainian incursion, the agency, known by its acronym GUR, said in a public post on the Telegram messaging app. At least three North Korean servicemen went missing around another Kursk village, GUR said. Maj Gen Pat Ryder, Pentagon press secretary, told reporters that some North Korean troops have died in combat in Kursk but did not have a specific number of those kill
Hegseth has denied allegations made in a police report that he sexually assaulted a woman in 2017 at a conference in California
DeSantis, who lost his bid for the Republican presidential nomination to Trump, was on an earlier list of potential defense secretary candidates but Trump decided to go with Hegseth, the Journal