ALSO READ18-year-old charged with London Tube terror attack 18-yr-old arrested for London Tube terror attack London Tube bombing: Last 3 suspects released without charge London tube attack: IS claims responsibility, terror alert level 'critical' Student accused of planting homemade bomb on London subway train
An 18-year-old Iraqi asylum seeker will stand trial accused of placing a bomb on a London Underground train which partially exploded, injuring 30 people last month. Ahmed Hassan Mohammed Ali appeared at the Old Bailey court in London today charged with attempted murder and causing an explosion likely to endanger life or cause serious injury. He was told his two-week murder trial will commence on March 5, 2018, as he appeared via video link from the high-security Belmarsh prison in south-east London. "The allegation is the defendant built and placed an improvised explosive device on a train and, at or around Parsons Green train station [west London], it partially exploded [on September 15] and the intent was there should be a larger explosion with intent to kill and cause serious injury to people and property," prosecutor Lee Ingham told the court. The prosecutor added the case was regarded as being motivated by politics and falls under the UK's Terrorism Act definition. Ali, an Iraqi national living in Sunbury area of Surrey county in south-east England, is charged with using the chemical compound triacetone triperoxide (TATP) to cause an explosion. It is alleged that Ali built and placed the improvised explosive device on the Tube hidden in a plastic bucket, which then partially exploded at or near Parsons Green station on a District Line train on the London Underground network. Justice Haddon-Cave reminded Ali to custody to next appear at the Old Bailey court on January 19, when he will enter his guilty or not guilty plea on the charges.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)