You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

London Tube bombing: Last 3 suspects released without charge

Press Trust of India  |  London 

The final three suspects arrested in connection with the Tube bombing attack have now been released without charge.

Yard said a 25-year-old man who was arrested in Newport, south Wales, on September 19, and a 30-year-old man arrested in Newport on September 20, were released yesterday.


A 20-year-old man arrested in Cardiff, Wales, on Monday, has also been released.

A total of seven men had been arrested as part of the investigation into the September 15 attack on the Underground network in west London, being led by the Metropolitan Police's Counter-Command.

Of them, 18-year-old Ahmed Hassan has since been the only one officially named and charged.

He remains in judicial custody to appear before the Old Bailey in on October 13.

"To date, seven people have been arrested as part of the investigation being carried out by the Met's Counter Command. One person has been charged and the other six released with no further action," a Police statement said.

The Met's Counter-Command says its investigation into the terror attack remains ongoing as it continues to search an address in Cardiff.

Searches near a home in Surrey have now been completed and the said that "work is currently underway to return the scene to normal".

Police have revealed the explosive used by the prime suspect in the terror attack as triacetone triperoxide (TATP), similar to ingredients used in some of the previous terror attacks in Europe such as in Paris in November, 2015.

Thirty people were injured when a bomb partially exploded on a rush-hour Tube train in southwest on September 15, leading to the UK briefly raising its terror threat level from 'severe' to 'critical' implying another attack was imminent.

The terror threat has since returned to severe, which indicates a terrorist attack remains highly likely.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, September 27 2017. 16:07 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU