Mindfulness is fast becoming the new "must-have" for executives to support self-regulation, promote effective decision-making and protect themselves from toxic stress, says a new report from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
The report, titled "CFOs and the C-suite - leadership fit for the 21st century", challenges the assumption that traditional leadership training is sufficient to prepare the C-suite today. The report puts forward the case for mindful leadership, supporting sustainable behavioural shifts, enabling better decision-making and preventing damaging corporate scandals.
Read more from our special coverage on "VANTAGE POINT"
- Breakthroughs need expertise, not just cross-collaboration
- Leadership growth with social responsibility has positive results
- Managers undermining role of luck in success or failure of a business
- Technology sector slowing in past 3 years in creating wealth
- Companies not opting for aggressive pay increases
Palma Michel, co-author of the report and mindful leadership adviser, says that to thrive in today's VUCA (volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity) world, applying yesterday's business frameworks, solutions and behaviours to tomorrow's problems won't work. Md. Sajid Khan, head of international development, ACCA, said, "A sound leadership is a reflection of being cognisant of the changing business scenarios and reciprocating to them with mindful business solutions."