- Jet Airways surges 12% on reports Naresh Goyal has stepped down from board
- Hero MotoCorp trades lower for ninth straight day; stock nears 52-week low
- PFC acquires government stake in REC; stocks surge up to 8%
- Arvind Fashions up 10% on change in circuit filter;shifts to normal segment
- Jindal Steel, SAIL, Jindal Stainless: 3 metal stocks that can slip further
- TTK Prestige gains 5% on bonus issue plan announcement
- India to outperform poll-bound emerging markets in 2019
- InterGlobe Aviation trades firm in weak market; zooms 108% from 52-week low
- 5 graphs show why the $220-bn Indian stock market rally may be overheating
- Rupee opens 11 paise lower against US dollar amid weak global cues
MARKET WRAP: Sensex pares some gains, ends 269 pts up, Nifty above 11,400
All that happened in markets today
After surging 500 points in the intra-day trade, the S&P BSE Sensex witnessed a sharp fall at the fag-end of the session, mainly due to profit-booking to end at 38,024, up 269 points or 0.71 per cent. Financial stocks such as HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank contributed the most to the index's gains while Reliance Industries (RIL), ITC and Hindustan Unilever (HUL) emerged as the biggest drags.
The NSE's benchmark index Nifty50 closed above 11,400 level at 11,427, up 84 points or 0.74 per cent. The index hit a high of 11,487 levels during the day.
Both Sensex and Nifty reclaimed their crucial levels of 38,000 and 11,400 levels, respectively in the intra-day trade after a gap of six months.
Market breadth remained in favour of declines as out 2,860 companies traded on BSE, 1,478 declined and 1,207 advanced while 175 remained unchanged. A total of 59 securities hit their 52-week highs while 111 scrips hit their one-year lows.
In the broader market, the S&P BSE MidCap index ended 83 points, or 0.55 per cent higher at 15,172, while the S&P BSE SmallCap index settled at 14,837, down 51 points or 0.34 per cent.
Banking barometer Nifty Bank, too hit a fresh record high of 29,520.70 during the day. It ended at 29,381.45, up over 1.50 per cent with 10 out of 12 constituents ending in the green.
Shares of Titan Company hit a new high of Rs 1,112, up 2.5 per cent, in intra-day trade. The firm is set to join the elite club of Rs 1-trillion market capitalization (market-cap) on the BSE. The stock, eventually settled at Rs 1,095 apiece on BSE, up nearly a per cent.
Shares of UPL hit a new high of Rs 921, up 2 per cent, in intra-day trade, after more than two million shares of the agrochemicals company changed hands on the BSE through block deal. It settled at Rs 922, up 2 per cent.
Among sectoral indices, Nifty PSU Bank index added nearly 2 per cent, as Bank of Baroda and Punjab National Bank edged higher. The Nifty Private Bank index moved up 1.59 per cent.
Asian stocks advanced on Friday as sentiment improved on a report that U.S.-China trade talks were making progress and after UK lawmakers voted to delay a potentially chaotic exit from the European Union.
MSCI broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan gained 0.55 per cent. The Shanghai Composite Index added 0.7 per cent and Japan’s Nikkei climbed 0.8 per cent.
(With inputs from Reuters)