- Oil demand concerns overdone, Brent to rally above $70 per bbl: Goldman
- Private banks, Reliance Industries help Sensex past 38,000 mark
- NGT order, focus on affordable housing to aid home decor players
- UPL hits new high, rises 2% to Rs 921 after block deals
- Nifty PSU Bank at 2-month high; PNB hits 6-month high on rating upgrades
- CG Power extends gain; stock zooms 106% from 52-week low
- Embassy Office Parks REIT IPO: Should you invest?
- Titan Company set to join Rs 1-trillion market cap club; hits new high
- Rupee at 2019 high, gains 22 paise against US dollar in early trade
- Market Ahead, March 15: Rupee, global cues and oil prices top triggers
MARKET WRAP: Sensex pares some gains, ends 269 pts up, Nifty above 11,400
All that happened in markets today
After surging 500 points in the intra-day trade, the S&P BSE Sensex witnessed a sharp fall at the fag-end of the session, mainly due to profit-booking to end at 38,024, up 269 points or 0.71 per cent. Financial stocks such as HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank contributed the most to the index's gains while Reliance Industries (RIL), ITC and Hindustan Unilever (HUL) emerged as the biggest drags.
The NSE's benchmark index Nifty50 closed above 11,400 level at 11,427, up 84 points or 0.74 per cent. The index hit a high of 11,487 levels during the day.
Both Sensex and Nifty reclaimed their crucial levels of 38,000 and 11,400 levels, respectively in the intra-day trade after a gap of six months.
Market breadth remained in favour of declines as out 2,860 companies traded on BSE, 1,478 declined and 1,207 advanced while 175 remained unchanged. A total of 59 securities hit their 52-week highs while 111 scrips hit their one-year lows.
In the broader market, the S&P BSE MidCap index ended 83 points, or 0.55 per cent higher at 15,172, while the S&P BSE SmallCap index settled at 14,837, down 51 points or 0.34 per cent.
Banking barometer Nifty Bank, too hit a fresh record high of 29,520.70 during the day. It ended at 29,381.45, up over 1.50 per cent with 10 out of 12 constituents ending in the green.
Shares of Titan Company hit a new high of Rs 1,112, up 2.5 per cent, in intra-day trade. The firm is set to join the elite club of Rs 1-trillion market capitalization (market-cap) on the BSE. The stock, eventually settled at Rs 1,095 apiece on BSE, up nearly a per cent.
Shares of UPL hit a new high of Rs 921, up 2 per cent, in intra-day trade, after more than two million shares of the agrochemicals company changed hands on the BSE through block deal. It settled at Rs 922, up 2 per cent.
Among sectoral indices, Nifty PSU Bank index added nearly 2 per cent, as Bank of Baroda and Punjab National Bank edged higher. The Nifty Private Bank index moved up 1.59 per cent.
Asian stocks advanced on Friday as sentiment improved on a report that U.S.-China trade talks were making progress and after UK lawmakers voted to delay a potentially chaotic exit from the European Union.
MSCI broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan gained 0.55 per cent. The Shanghai Composite Index added 0.7 per cent and Japan’s Nikkei climbed 0.8 per cent.
(With inputs from Reuters)