You are here: Home » News-ANI » National
Business Standard

Court allows CBI to withdraw plea seeking permission to further probe Bofors deal

ANI  |  General News 

In the midst of election rhetoric over corruption in the Bofors gun deal, a special court here on Thursday allowed the (CBI) to withdraw its application seeking permission to further probe the Rs 64-crore payoff in the contract.

Petitions were filed by the and for further probe into the politically sensitive deal.

However, the probe agency on Thursday informed the that it wanted to withdraw the application.

Naveen Kashyap, while allowing the to withdraw the application, questioned Aggarwal's locus standi in the matter.

Aggarwal also said that he wanted to take back his plea after which permission was granted by the court.

The next hearing in the matter will be on July 6.

Earlier, the CMM had asked as to "why does the need the court's permission to proceed with further investigation in the matter" and directed the probe agency to place on record case laws to show that it required the court's nod.

On November 2 last year, the had dismissed a CBI petition challenging a 2005 verdict quashing all charges against the three Hinduja brothers - SP Hinduja, GP Hinduja and PP Hinduja - and others in the Bofors case.

The petition was dismissed as the appeal became time-barred, the court had said.

Last week, had evoked anger by saying that late started as a "Mr Clean" in Indian politics and ended up as "Corrupt No 1" in a veiled reference to payoffs in the Bofors deal.

hit back, saying that Modi was touching a new low by attacking the former who had sacrificed his life for the nation.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, May 16 2019. 15:22 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU