Business Standard

Archbishop Philip Wilson resigns after sex abuse cover-up

IANS  |  Canberra 

Australian has resigned after being convicted of concealing child sex abuse.

In May, he was given a one-year sentence for failing to report allegations of abuse by a in the 1970s. Wilson is the world's most senior Roman Catholic to be convicted of the offence.

Earlier this month, Australian called on the Pope to sack him, reported on Monday.

During his trial, Wilson denied any knowledge of abuse committed by during his time as an assistant in Maitland, 130 km from

Fletcher was convicted of nine charges in 2004, and died in jail in 2006.

However, the found that Wilson had been told about the abuse by the young victims and that he had failed to report the crimes because he wanted to protect the Church's reputation.

Wilson has said he will appeal against his conviction. He could avoid jail after the court ordered he be assessed for "home detention".

--IANS

pgh/

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, July 30 2018. 22:54 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU