You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Ebola-hit countries call for USD 8 bn for 'Marshall Plan'

AFP  |  Washington 

The three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an USD 8 billion "Marshall Plan" today to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts.

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf told global financial and aid leaders in Washington that the sum is admittedly high, but crucial to help Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone recover after the devastating epidemic last year.

She said the sum would allow the three countries, who with Ivory Coast form the Mano River Union development region, to reach a more sustainable growth level and build health systems that would prevent another such outbreak.

"Is this asking too much? We say no, because a strong Mano River Union can be a formidable force for recovery and resilience in the subregion," Sirleaf told a meeting, which included the heads of the United Nations, World Bank and International Monetary Fund.

Of the sum, USD 4 billion would be deployed over two years to help restore communities devastated by the outbreak, which left more than 10,000 dead.

It would also aim to restore medium- and long-term confidence among investors, after many pulled out of the countries hit by the epidemic.

With new Ebola cases sharply down, but not entirely eradicated, leaders of the three nations said more money was needed urgently, even before a planned UN donor conference in July.

"The Marshall Plan was the consequence of a war. Ebola was like a war for our countries," said Guinea President Alpha Conde.

"We need these funds immediately, we don't want to wait until July."

At the meeting, World Bank President Jim Yong Kim announced a new USD 650 million in funds for the three countries, in addition to USD 1 billion committed last year to fight the outbreak.

Kim stressed even if new infections and deaths have declined dramatically, the three countries need support to ensure it does not return.

"The epidemic is not over. The world must not let up.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, April 17 2015. 20:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU