You are here: Home » PTI Stories » International » News
Business Standard

Guinea-Bissau elections postponed until next year

AFP  |  Bissau (Guinea-Bissau) 

Guinea-Bissau said today it was postponing national elections which had been due to take place in nine days until March next year.

"The presidential and parliamentary elections will be held on March 16, 2014," the transitional regime said in a presidential decree, announcing that it would "immediately cancel the elections previously set for November 24, 2013".

The decree said the postponement was agreed by the transitional government, political parties and the electoral commission, but did not specify a reason for the decision.

The polls were originally pencilled in for May but in January transitional president Manuel Serifo Nhamadjo said such a short time frame was "technically" impossible.

The election commission has estimated that a nationwide poll would require USD 40 million (30 million euros) on top of a revision of the electoral code and a biometric census.

Guinea-Bissau, which gained independence from Portugal in 1974 after a war with its colonial power lasting more than ten years, has suffered intermittent unrest since its liberation.

The chronic volatility has fanned poverty in the country of 1.6 million people with few resources other than cashew nuts and fish, attracting South American drug cartels which have turned it into a hub of cocaine trafficking for west Africa.

There has been a series of military coups attributed largely to unprecedented troop numbers and funding after the war.

The latest overthrew the regime of former premier Carlos Gomes Junior on April 12 last year.

Coup leader Antonio Indjai, a former army chief of staff, agreed in May last year to hand power to a civilian transitional regime headed by Nhamadjo.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, November 15 2013. 22:35 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU