A Philippine ex-banker was handed a lengthy jail term and $109 million fine Thursday in the first conviction over one of the biggest ever cyberheists which saw $81 million stolen from Bangladesh's central bank.
The court also ordered her to pay $109 million in fines. Deguito plans to appeal and can remain free on bail until the conviction is finalised.
Deguito is the only person who has been convicted in the case -- which has drawn international concern -- her lawyer Demetrio Custodio told AFP, adding that his client had been turned into a scapegoat.
"She could not have done this on her own. A bank the size of RCBC could not have allowed a lowly bank officer to have planned this, so there are others involved in this," Custodio said.
RCBC said in a statement that it was a "victim" and that Deguito was a "rogue" employee. The Philippine justice department said the case was not closed, but could not immediately provide details on other cases.
Only $15 million of the money was recovered after it landed in the Philippines and was quickly dispersed.
Tens of millions of the loot disappeared into Manila's casinos, which were at the time exempt from rules aimed at preventing money laundering.
The Philippine central bank imposed a record $21 million fine on RCBC after the discovery of the heist as it investigated the lender's alleged role in the theft.
The US reserve bank, which manages the Bangladesh Bank account, has denied its own systems were breached.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)