In a case of suspected pesticide poisoning, probably the first in this Kharip season in east Maharashtra, two farmers were admitted to a hospital with symptoms of vomitting and loose motions in Yavatmal district.
While Kewade, a resident of Fulai village in the district, was discharged on July 7, Meshram, who hails from Pengare village, still remains in the hospital.
He said Kewade had sprayed a pesticide named 'Hitweed' for 12 hours on his crop with his hand pump before he developed the symptoms.
"Meshram had also sprayed the poisonous 'Hitweed' for two days in row using his hand pump. He also developed severe loose motions and vomiting," Dr Elke said, adding that the condition of Meshram is stable.
When contacted, GMC Dean Dr Manish Shrigiriwar confirmed the admission of the two farmers.
"I had reported the matter to District Collector Rajesh Deshmukh," he said, adding that it was the job of Agriculture department to ensure that farmers take necessary safeguards before spraying pesticides.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)