You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Plea in SC against UP govt's move to withdraw Muzaffarnagar riots cases

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

A plea was today moved in the against the alleged attempt of the government to withdraw around 131 cases related to the 2013 riots including those involving serious offences like attempt to murder.

The plea filed by Shamli resident Imran alleged that the cases sought to be withdrawn include those in which UP Suresh Rana, former Union Sanjiv Balyan, Bhartendu Singh, MLA Umesh Malik and ruling are accused.

The plea also sought directions to transfer the pending riots cases to or to any other appropriate place outside

"Issue directions to appoint independent public prosecutors for the 131 cases related to riots," the plea said.

"Issue directions to injunct Respondent No. 2 (Uttar Pradesh) from ordering withdrawal of cases without prior permission of this court," the plea added.

Imran also alleged that since elected MPs and MLAs are accused in these cases, attempts are being made to withdraw cases without transferring them to the

The plea alleged that the had issued a letter to the district magistrates of Shamli and Muzaffarnagar earlier this year to provide a favourable response on withdrawing the cases.

"The beneficiaries of this order are to be powerful local leaders who have even since the riots continued intemperate speech aimed at arousing communal passions," the plea said.

The communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in August and September 2013 had claimed more than 60 lives while over 40,000 people were displaced.

In the two riot cases, 22 activists, including Rana, are facing trial in which a special investigation team (SIT) has filed charge sheets.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, July 13 2018. 21:10 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU