You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

SC allows withdrawal of plea for probe in Rajkot suicide case

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The Supreme today allowed withdrawal of a plea seeking investigation into a four-year- old incident in which five members of a Nepalese family had set themselves ablaze and died in Gujarat's Rajkot.

The top gave its nod after petitioner Rajkot resident Kaushik Chandrakantbhai Vyas who claimed to be an eyewitness to the 2013 incident said he had received a call from senior police official of assuring him security.

A bench of Justices Adarsh Kumar Goel and U U Lalit said prayer made in the plea has been addressed and petitioner is permitted to withdraw the plea.

Vyas has sought an independent investigation into the suicide committed by Mansinhbhai Vishwakarma and his four family members.

He had also sought security cover claiming threat to his life and recording of his statement in the case.

The plea, filed through advocate Pyoli Swatija, alleged that one of the victims in his dying declaration had alleged that the chief minister was "indirectly responsible" for the incident and the police had not probed his alleged role.

In 2013, the five had committed suicide at the Rajkot Municipal Corporation office premises fearing eviction from the society they had been living in for over three decades.

The corporation had issued them notices for eviction. Their plea challenging the eviction had been rejected by a local They were residing at the common plot of Chhotunagar cooperative housing society in the Raiya area of Rajkot. Following the incident, they succumbed to injuries.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, December 01 2017. 16:15 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU