You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Thousands flee deadly fighting in east DR Congo: Officials

AFP  |  Kinshasa 

Thousands of civilians are fleeing fighting between the Democratic Republic of and militia groups in the eastern province, a told AFP on Friday.

Some 25,000 of them have gathered in Minwembe, the rural commune's told AFP.

"They are fleeing the fighting. Their homes have been burnt and pillaged. They have spent the night out of doors. They have no shelter. They have no No assistance," he said.

Sadiki said gunfire had been heard near Minembwe, where UN-funded Okapi radio reported that three militiamen were killed in combat with troops.

The said this week it had warded off several attacks on Minewemba. Dozens of armed groups are active in the North and provinces of DRC.

In the city of in North Kivu, a said five civilians and a soldiers were killed Friday in an attack attributed to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

"The civilians were surprised in the fields by the ADF, who killed five of them by machete and took two with them," an of Beni, Donat Kibwana, told AFP.

"One soldier was killed and another injured, and the search is continuing" for the abducted individuals, added

"We are still urging our political-military authorities to save the people of from this situation," residents' said.

The ADF, forced out of in the mid 1990s, is frequently accused by DRC authorities of attacking army positions in

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, May 17 2019. 22:12 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU