You are here: Home » Sports » Cricket » Cricket News
Business Standard

Ball-tampering scandal: Bowlers have cleared air with Bancroft, says Paine

Cameron Bancroft has 'cleared the air' with Australian bowlers after creating a flutter by hinting that all of them were aware of the 2018 ball-tampering plot in South Africa

Topics
ball tampering | Cameron Bancroft | Australia cricket team

Press Trust of India  |  Hobart 

Pat Cummins (Photo: @patcummins30)
Pat Cummins (Photo: @patcummins30)

has "cleared the air" with Australian bowlers after creating a flutter by hinting that all of them were aware of the 2018 ball-tampering plot in South Africa, Australia Test skipper Tim Paine said on Wednesday, "looking forward to moving on".

The 2018 scandal was once again in spotlight after Bancroft recently stated that whether the Australian bowlers knew of the plan to use a sandpaper on the ball during the Cape Town Test against South Africa, was "self-explanatory."

"I think they're frustrated that it keeps popping up but I think that's part and parcel for everyone who played in that test match," Test skipper Paine was quoted as saying by 'Sydney Morning Herald'.

"Their mood was fine, I think they've spoken to (Bancroft), cleared the air there and I think everyone's looking forward to moving on.

"We're all grown men and those guys have made contact with each other and sorted it out," Paine added.

Bancroft has since then backtracked on his claim, informing Cricket Australia's integrity unit that he has no "significant new information" to share.

After this the bowlers in question -- Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc and spinner Nathan Lyon --, who were all part of the team during the ill-fated series, issued a joint statement on Tuesday to claim innocence and call for an end to "rumour-mongering and innuendo".

The-28-year-old Bancroft reportedly claimed he was left flustered by the unexpected line of questioning and that there was no malice behind his remarks, according to a report.

The trio of Bancroft, then skipper Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner were banned for their roles in the scandal.

While Smith and Warner are back in the team after serving their year-long bans, Bancroft, who was suspended for nine months, last played for Australia in 2019.

Paine asserted that Bancroft's recent comments will not jeopardise his chances of returning to the national side.

"We don't pick Test teams on what they say in the media. We pick test teams on how many runs they're scoring ... and that certainly won't be held against him.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Wed, May 19 2021. 19:23 IST