Second major rail accident in 4 months, Commissioner of Railway Safety to conduct probe
Catch all the latest updates LIVE from across the globe here
At least four people were killed and around 100 others injured after the North East Express train derailed in Bihar on October 11. Watch the video to know more.
Citing a preliminary investigation report, news agency PTI reported that fault in tracks was the possible cause of derailment of the Delhi-Kamakhya North East Express
Amid a tragic accident in Bihar, the Indian railway cancelled 10 trains and diverted 21 trains. Six people lost their lives and more than 100 people were injured. Check the full details below
Indian Railways cancelled ten trains and diverted 21 after several coaches of 12506 Delhi-Kamakhya North East Express derailed near the Raghunathpur station in Bihar's Buxar district on Wednesday killing at least four people and injuring many others. The derailment occurred at 9:53 pm and at least two AC III Tier coaches had toppled over while four other coaches jumped the tracks. Buxar Superintendent of Police Manish Kumar told PTI four passengers had died in the accident. A Railway Police Force official the injured had been shifted to local hospitals. Those with serious injuries were rushed to AIIMS, Patna. Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on X "Will find the root cause of the derailment" even as he expressed condolences for the loss of lives. The minister said evacuation and rescue operations were completed and all coaches have been checked. According to a statement issued by the East Central Railway zone, trains that have been cancelled include: Patna-Puri Special (03
Mallikarjun Kharge further requested the Congress workers to provide all possible help to the victims
At least four passengers died and another 50 were injured after 21 coaches of the North East Express train derailed near Raghunathpur station in Buxar district, an official said earlier
At least four passengers died and 70 others injured when six coaches of the Delhi-Kamakhya North East Express derailed near the Raghunathpur station in Bihar's Buxar district on Wednesday night, officials said. The derailment occurred at 9:53 pm and at least two AC III Tier coaches had toppled over while four other coaches jumped the tracks, television visuals showed. Buxar Superintendent of Police Manish Kumar told PTI four passengers had died in the accident. A Railway Police Force official said at least 70 passengers have been injured and shifted to local hospitals. Those with serious injuries were rushed to AIIMS, Patna. Will find the root cause of derailment, Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on X, even as he expressed condolences for the loss of lives. The minister said evacuation and rescue operations were completed and all coaches have been checked. The 23-coach 12506 North East Express had departed the Anand Vihar terminal in Delhi at 7:40 am on Wednesday for its nea
Several coaches of 12506 North East Express (Anand Vihar Terminal in Delhi to Kamakhya in Assam) derailed near Raghunathpur station in Bihar's Buxar district on Wednesday. Talking to PTI, chief public relations officer of East Central Railway Birendra Kumar said, "Several coaches of Kamakhya-bound North East Express derailed near Raghunathpur station in Buxar district around 9.35 pm. No casualty reports so far." Though preliminary reports suggest no casualty so far, there is information that some passengers might have sustained minor injuries, said Kumar. "We have sent rescue and medical teams to the spot. The railways has also issued emergency helpline numbers for passengers. These are 9771449971 (Patna), 8905697493 (Danapur), 8306182542 (Ara), 8306182542 and 7759070004," he said. Talking to reporters, Deepak Kumar, inspector, Railway Police Force, said, "Medical teams have sent to the spot." District administration has also alerted hospitals in Buxar town, he added.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday said details collected as part of the caste survey, including the economic condition of households, will be tabled before the state assembly. He was responding to queries from journalists, on the sidelines of a function organised here to mark the birth anniversary of legendary socialist leader Jayaprakash Narayan, by whom he had been inspired, as an engineering student in the 1970s, to take the political plunge. "What we have accomplished is being talked about across the country. Now, as the next step, we will place on record details like the economic condition of households which will give a clearer picture. This will be done in the next session of the assembly," the chief minister said. The JD(U) leader, however, ducked queries as to whether the survey, which has shown OBCs and Extremely Backward Classes (EBCs) to be nearly two-thirds of the population, would be followed by a rise in quotas to ensure proportionate representation. "It
The District Magistrate said that the bridge being built by the Setu Nigam on the Magai River between Katharia and Firozpur at a cost of over Rs 8 crore
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav rejected the charge levelled by opposition BJP and its allies that findings of the caste survey have been manipulated to suit his RJD's prospects. Talking to reporters here on Saturday, he pointed out that his caste was the most populous even as per the 1931 census, and told the BJP to press the demand for a nationwide caste census if it was not happy with the state government's exercise. "Yadavs were 11 per cent of the total population in 1931 when Odisha and Jharkhand, too, were a part of Bihar. Nearly a century later, they are said to be 14 per cent. What is so irregular in that? he said. Had it been the state government's intent to fudge statistics for electoral gains, the numbers of the chief minister's caste would have also been increased, he added. The survey shows Kurmis, the caste to which Chief Minister Nitish Kumar belongs, as less than 3 per cent of the state's population. "We are thankful to the CM for the initiative that is
Catch all the latest updates from across the globe here
Kanshi Ram was a genius and a political visionary, his ideas gave India an OBC Prime Minister. But Bihar-style caste census will be a very sad offering to the rest of the country
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Friday night announced that Rajasthan will conduct a caste survey along the lines of the one done in Bihar. The issue was discussed at a core committee meeting of the Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee (RPCC) held at the party's war room here. The meeting was attended by Congress in-charge for Rajasthan Sukhjinder Randhawa, CM Gehlot, RPCC president Govind Singh Dotasra and other leaders. "The Rajasthan government will also conduct a caste survey like the one held in Bihar," Gehlot told reporters after the meeting. He said Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's concept of caste survey and participation in proportion to the population would be furthered in the state. "Therefore, we have decided that keeping in mind the mandate of the party, the Rajasthan government should declare this campaign," he said. Gehlot said the intent of his party should be brought forward. "There are various castes within the country.. People of various religions live here. The
The Supreme Court Friday questioned the Bihar government as to why it published its caste survey data but refused to restrain it from making public further data, and said it may examine if the state has power to conduct such an exercise. A bench of Justices Sanjiv Khanna and S V N Bhatti issued a formal notice on a batch of pleas challenging the August 1 order of the Patna High Court that gave the go-ahead for the caste survey in Bihar. The SC bench listed the matter in January, 2024. It rejected the petitioners' contention that the state government has already published some data preempting a stay. They sought a complete stay on further publication of data. "We are not staying anything at this moment. We cannot stop the state government or any government from taking a policy decision. That would be wrongWe are going to examine the other issue regarding the power of the state government to conduct this exercise," the bench said. The top court, however, questioned the counsel for t
The bench sought a response from the Bihar government over the matter within four weeks
BJP MP Sushil Kumar Modi on Wednesday stressed that the time has come for reforms in Muslim personal laws to ensure gender neutrality. During a discussion on the topic of "Uniform Civil Code (UCC): Majoritarian Agenda or Much-needed Reform?" at the India Today Conclave here, he cited the practices of polygamy and "triple talaq" and said there is a need for gender neutrality in laws. "The time has now come for bringing in reforms in the existing Muslim personal laws," Modi, a former deputy chief minister of Bihar, said. Besides Modi, All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi and women's right activist and lawyer Flavia Agnes participated in the discussion. "What kind of law requires a divorced woman, who intends to get married to her first husband again, to first marry and get 'triple talaq' from another man to fulfil her wish?" the BJP leader asked. Owaisi defended the personal laws and said, "The second wife of a Muslim man is entitled to maintenance a
A Delhi court on Wednesday granted bail to RJD chief Lalu Prasad, his wife Rabri Devi and their son and Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav in the alleged land-for-job scam in the railways. Special Judge Geetanjali Goel granted relief to the accused after they appeared before the court in pursuance of summons issued against them. The court had on September 22 summoned the accused after taking cognisance of the charge sheet filed against them and other accused, saying the evidence prima facie showed commission of various offences, including corruption, criminal conspiracy, cheating and forgery. The agency had on July 3 filed a charge sheet in connection with the alleged scam. Prasad is out on bail in this case as well as fodder scam cases. It was the second charge sheet filed by the CBI in the case but the first in which Tejashwi Yadav has been named as an accused. The case pertains to Group-D appointments made in West Central Zone of the railways based in Jabalpur, Madhya