Efforts to unseat British Prime Minister Keir Starmer from within his party broke into open rebellion Thursday, with one potential rival resigning from the Cabinet and two others positioning themselves for a future leadership challenge. Health Secretary Wes Streeting became the first senior minister to quit Thursday in what was seen as a precursor to challenging Starmer's leadership. He said he had lost confidence in Starmer, who should not serve out the rest of his term. "You have shown courage and statesmanship on the world stage - not least in keeping Britain out of the war in Iran," Streeting wrote in an excoriating resignation letter. "But where we need vision, we have a vacuum. Where we need direction, we have drift." But Streeting stopped short of saying he was the best candidate to lead the party at the next election due by 2029, suggesting Starmer should step aside to allow a "broad" field of candidates to debate the future of the party. Starmer is under growing pressure t
His announcement fell short of forcing the launch of a formal leadership contest but piles the pressure on the British leader who has so far weathered a drip feed of demands for him to step down
In the event of a contest sparked by Streeting, allies of Starmer said it was likely the premier would attempt to stand against him
All eyes were on a clutch of senior party figures, such as health minister Wes Streeting who has made little secret of his ambition to become prime minister one day
Iran's deputy foreign minister warned against a planned French-British effort that aims to support maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz after hostilities are over. "The presence of French and British vessels, or those of any other country, for any possible cooperation with illegal US actions in the Strait of Hormuz that violate international law will be met with a decisive and immediate response from the armed forces," Kazem Gharibabadi said on social media. French President Emmanuel Macron responded by saying it won't be a military deployment but an international mission to secure shipping once conditions allow. Several attacks against ships in the Persian Gulf have occurred over the past week, and a US effort to "guide" ships through the strait was quickly paused. South Korea announced initial findings from an investigation that said two unidentified airborne objects struck the South Korean-operated vessel HMM NAMU about one minute apart while it was anchored in the strait l
Airlines will be expected to consolidate schedules on certain routes with multipleflightsto the same destinationon the sameday as part of contingency measures the UK government announced on Sunday. The Department for Transport (DfT) issued a series of temporary plans amid ongoing jet fuel supply issues caused by the US-Iran conflict and the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz. It stressed that while UK airlines say they are not currently facing supply issues, the government is stepping in to protect travellers from the likelihood of last-minute flight cancellations over the upcoming summer holiday period in the event of significant disruption caused by the conflict. "Since the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, the government has been monitoring jet fuel supplies daily and working with airlines, airports and fuel suppliers to stay ahead of any problems," said UK Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander. "There are no immediate supply issues, but we're preparing now to givefamilies long-term
The British monarch and his wife, Queen Camilla, focused on economic and cultural exchanges on the third day of a visit timed to mark the 250th anniversary of America's independence
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani said he would encourage King Charles III to return the Koh-i-Noor diamond. "If I was to speak to the King separately from that, I would probably encourage him to return the Koh-i-Noor diamond," Mamdani said at a press conference Wednesday before he met the British monarch in the city later in the day. Mamdani was asked what he would say to the King, who visited New York City on the second day of his State Visit to the US. King Charles addressed a joint meeting of the US Congress Tuesday, as he and Queen Camilla were honoured at a state dinner hosted by President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump in the White House. King Charles and Queen Camilla visited the 9/11 Memorial in the city and paid their respects to the victims of the terror attack. They also visited Harlem Grown, a network of urban farms supporting children and families in Upper Manhattan. Mamdani met King Charles at the 9/11 memorial. The 105.6-carat Koh-i-Noor diamond was g
King Charles III gently pushed back against President Trump's attacks on Britain and Nato
Charles used his remarks to a joint session of Congress - the first such address by a British monarch in more than three decades - to argue for preserving the alliance between the UK and US
In his remarks, Trump stressed the bonds of friendship that have evolved between Britons and Americans since their days as adversaries during the War of Independence and the "wounds of war" it caused
The long-planned event is intended to mark the 250th anniversary of US's independence from Britain, though its diplomatic mission has taken on new urgency amid Trump's recent feud with PM Keir Starmer
Opponents of smoking got a breath of fresh air as Parliament passed a bill that will put cigarettes out of reach for future generations. "The end of smoking, and the devastating harm it causes, is no longer uncertain - it's inevitable," Hazel Cheeseman, chief executive of Action on Smoking and Health, said after a decades-long campaign in favour of legislation approved Tuesday. Children born after December 31, 2008 will be banned from ever buying cigarettes under the Tobacco and Vapes Bill. The legislation that needs approval by King Charles III - a formality - before taking effect will also allow the government to regulate tobacco, vaping and nicotine products, including flavours and packaging. It is currently illegal to sell cigarettes, tobacco products or vapes to people under 18. But most youths today will continue to face a ban their entire life as the minimum age to buy cigarettes rises each year. The passage gives the UK one of the toughest anti-smoking measures in the worl
The British central bank is expected to keep borrowing costs on hold on April 30 at the end of its next scheduled Monetary Policy Committee meeting
Planners from more than 30 countries will participate in the talks in a two-day conference in north London, which will "advance military plans to reopen the Strait
Macron, Starmer call for 'full' reopening of Strait; Trump says Israel won't be bombing Lebanon
The late Queen Elizabeth II believed the monarch had to be seen to be believed. And she made sure that was true even when Britain's famously changeable weather intervened, pioneering the use of a clear plastic raincoat so that a stodgy black umbrella didn't obscure her from public view. That raincoat is one of some 300 garments and other fashion artifacts that go on display Friday at the King's Gallery at Buckingham Palace in an exhibit that celebrates the late queen's life and reign as Britain prepares to mark the centenary of her birth. The most comprehensive exhibition of her style choices ever mounted, the show charts Elizabeth's story, and her impact on British fashion. "I think she had a definite sense of what suited her," exhibition curator Caroline de Guitaut said. "She absolutely knew how she wanted to appear." An Olympian moment ============== Some of the items are easily recognisable since Elizabeth was one of the most photographed people ever. But the ball gowns, twee
The US government blacklisted Anthropic,designating the company a national-security supply-chain risk after it refused to allow the military to use AI chatbot Claude for US surveillance
Military opportunities are now being actively promoted in job centres around the country, with a particular focus on regions with high youth unemployment
London police are urgently investigating how armed protection officers guarding Mayor Sadiq Khan left a bag of guns outside his home. The Metropolitan Police said in a statement late Friday that five officers had been removed from front-line duties while inquiries were being carried out. The weapons cache, which according to The Sun newspaper included an MP5 semiautomatic Heckler and Koch carbine, a Glock pistol, Taser and ammunition, were found in south London Tuesday by a couple, who then informed the Metropolitan Police. Scaffolder Jordan Griffiths told the newspaper that his girlfriend found the bag by the curbside and said that he was in "shock" after discovering what was inside. "I could not believe my eyes and took some pictures as proof of what we had found," he said. "I called the police and told them what I had found and within a few minutes they turned up to collect the guns." The police Directorate of Professional Standards is reviewing what happened and confirmed that