The Enforcement Directorate (ED) arrested TMC MLA Manik Bhattacharya in the early hours of Tuesday after night-long questioning in connection with the irregularities in the recruitment of primary teachers, officials said. Bhattacharya, the former chairman of the West Bengal Board of Primary Education, was arrested for allegedly not cooperating with the investigation, they said. "Mr Bhattacharya has been arrested for his continued non-cooperating with the investigators during questioning, which began on Monday afternoon. He also tried to misdirect the investigators," an ED officer told PTI. He is the MLA of Palashipara in Nadia district. Earlier, the Supreme Court granted Bhattacharya "protection" from being arrested by the CBI, which is also investigating the case. The ED is tracking the money trail in the scam, while the CBI is looking into the alleged irregularities committed in the recruitment. It is alleged that several people who fared poorly in the recruitment examinations
ED is conducting raids in Chhatisgarh at more than twelve locations belonging to government officials who are said to be close to CM Bhupesh Baghel in connection with an alleged DA case
A special court here on Monday extended by 14 days the judicial custody of Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut, an accused in a money laundering case investigated by the Enforcement Directorate. Raut was produced in the special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) court as his judicial custody expired on Monday. Special judge M G Deshpande, who is hearing the bail application of Raut, extended his custody by another 14 days. Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh, appearing for ED, on Monday made his submissions against Raut's bail plea in the court. Raut was arrested by the ED on August 1 in a money laundering case linked to alleged irregularities in the redevelopment of Patra 'chawl' in Mumbai. He is currently in judicial custody. The ED probe pertains to alleged financial irregularities of Rs 1,034 crore pertaining to the redevelopment of the chawl or tenements in suburban Goregaon and related financial transactions allegedly involving his wife and associates. Singh argued that a l
Delhi minister and Aam Aadmi Party leader Satyendar Jain has moved the Supreme Court against the transfer of his bail plea in a money laundering case to another judge, on the ED's request
The Supreme Court Monday agreed to hear on Tuesday a plea filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) challenging the Bombay High Court order granting bail to former Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh in a money laundering case. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the ED, mentioned the matter for urgent listing before a bench comprising Chief Justice U U Lalit and Justice S R Bhat. The bench said the matter will come up for hearing tomorrow before a bench headed by Justice D Y Chandrachud. The high court had on October 4 granted bail to Deshmukh in the case registered by the ED observing "two components of credits" in the account of his family trust were not "proceeds of crime. The high court had, however, stayed the order till October 13 after Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh said the ED will challenge it in the apex court. Two components of credits (Rs 10.42 crore and Rs 1.12 crore) in the account of a trust controlled by the Deshmukh family, flagged by the
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav, whose parents Lalu Prasad and Rabri Devi were named in a fresh CBI charge sheet, on Saturday sought to link the development to the BJP's loss of power in the state where it is now pitted against a formidable multi-party 'Mahagathbandhan'. The RJD heir apparent, who had earlier mockingly asked central investigating agencies to open their offices at his residence, added tongue in cheek that after the CBI, he expected the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to swing into action. "The BJP, having lost power in Bihar, obviously has a problem with us. It also knows that it stands no chance against the Mahagathbandhan. So, in keeping with its strategy of misusing institutions, it has let loose the CBI," Yadav told reporters in reply to queries about the fresh charge sheet against Prasad, the RJD president, and Rabri Devi who is a former chief minister. The CBI has filed the charge sheet against Prasad, Rabri Devi and 14 others in connection with an ...
The Enforcement Directorate has seized about Rs 1 crore in cash after raids conducted in connection with a money laundering investigation into the alleged irregularities in the now-scrapped Delhi excise policy, official sources said Saturday. The searches were launched on Friday at about 35 locations in Delhi-NCR, Punjab and Telangana's capital Hyderabad. About a crore cash has been seized from a location during the raids conducted against liquor businessmen, distribution companies and linked entities, sources said. Some digital devices and documents were also seized, they said without disclosing the locations of all the recoveries. Premises linked to a director of a Delhi-based TV news organisation, who is also on the board of a Telugu daily, a city-based businessman whose company imports and distributes various alcoholic beverages and a former Punjab MLA were also searched by ED officials, they said. The federal agency has conducted more than 103 raids in this case till now and
In connection with the Delhi Excise Policy scam, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has seized Rs 1 crore from the house of a businessman in the national capital, sources said on Saturday.
Despite getting court order for taking Sehgal Hossian -- the bodyguard of Trinamool Congress strongman Anubrata Mondal -- into its custody, the ED will not be able to take Hossian to Delhi for now
Assets worth Rs 1.54 crore of a charitable trust linked to international human rights organisation Amnesty India have been attached under the anti-money laundering law, the Enforcement Directorate said Friday. A provisional order for attachment has been issued under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), it said. The order has been issued against the trust -- Indians for Amnesty International Trust (IAIT) -- in connection with a case linked to alleged violation of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) by the India arm of the global organisation. The federal agency, whose case stems from a CBI FIR against Amnesty India, issued a statement saying the Amnesty International India Foundation Trust (AIIFT) was granted permission under the FCRA, 2010 during 2011-12 for receiving foreign contributions from the Amnesty International UK. "However, the same was cancelled and permission/registration has been denied," it said. The Amnesty International India Pvt Ltd (AIIPL) an
The ED on Friday launched fresh raids in connection with its money laundering investigation into alleged irregularities in the now-scrapped Delhi excise policy, official sources said. The searches are being carried out at about 35 locations in Delhi, Punjab and some places in Hyderabad, they said. Some liquor distributors, companies and linked entities are being searched, the sources said. The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has conducted more than 103 raids in this case till now and had also arrested Sameer Mahandru, a liquor businessman and managing director of liquor manufacturing company Indospirit last month in the case. The money laundering case stems from a CBI FIR. The liquor scheme came under the scanner after the Delhi LG recommended a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities in the implementation of Delhi's Excise Policy 2021-22. He had also suspended 11 excise officials in the matter.
Rumours started with a portal's tweet that the Chinese cellphone manufacturer may shift its operations from India to Pakistan after its assets worth $676 million were seized
The Enforcement Directorate has filed a chargesheet at a special Bengaluru court against several individuals and two firms for allegedly cheating the people by collecting around Rs 200 crore from them
The competent authority, formed under the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA), confirmed the order of the ED to seize the assets of the smartphone company on September 19.
The Enforcement Directorate froze Rs 5,551 crore of Xiaomi assets in April, alleging the company made illegal remittances to foreign entities by passing them off as royalty payments
Karnataka Congress president DK Shivakumar on Thursday said that the Enforcement Directorate has turned down his plea for exemption from appearance before the agency on October 7 in a money laundering case. In a fresh message to Shivakumar, the ED has told him to make himself available before the agency on Friday. "You are once again directed to present yourself before me at my office for recording of your statement on October 7, 2022 as per summons dated September 23, 2022," said an email sent by ED Assistant Director Kuldeep Singh. Shivakumar, who is presently participating in the Congreess' Bharat Jodo Yatra which is passing through Karnataka, had requested the probe agency to allow him exemption from appearance till October 21. "I had requested for time to appear before the ED which has been denied.I will take a call on whether to appear before the agency after talking to my leaders, Shivakumar said. The Enforcement Directorate has summoned Shivakumar for questioning in its .
ED's decision to extend the term of deputation for Sudesh Kumar Sheoran is being perceived by the circles concerned as a step to maintain the pace of probe in various financial scams in the state
The Bombay High Court on Tuesday granted bail to former Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh in an alleged money laundering case. Justice N J Jamadar pronounced the order. Earlier, the Supreme Court had directed the HC to hear and decide the NCP leader's plea expeditiously as it was pending for six months. His lawyers Vikram Chaudhari and Aniket Nikam argued that considering his age (72), health and the fact that he had no criminal antecedents he should be granted bail. Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh, appearing for the Enforcement Directorate (ED), opposed the application arguing that Deshmukh did not suffer from any ailments that cannot be treated at jail hospital. Arrested by the ED in November 2021, Deshmukh is now in judicial custody. The ED booked him after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registered a corruption case against him following allegations made by former Mumbai Police commissioner Param Bir Singh. The ED claimed that Deshmukh misused his ...
The ED has initiated a probe against a Chinese "controlled" mobile app that allegedly duped a number of youngsters in lieu of providing them part-time jobs that included "liking" and uploading celebrity videos on social media platforms. The federal agency said on Monday it has raided at least 12 entities in Bengaluru that are linked to the app -- 'Keepsharer' -- following which it seized funds worth Rs 5.85 crore. The probe found that "gullible public, mostly youth, were cheated by some Chinese persons through a mobile app namely Keepsharer which promised them to give part-time job and collected money from them", the Enforcement Directorate (ED) said in a statement. The Chinese formed companies here and recruited several Indians as directors, translators (Mandarin to English and vice-versa), HR managers and tele-callers, the ED said. "They obtained the documents of Indians and opened bank accounts. The accused Chinese persons developed the app and started its advertisement through
Chinese smart devices firm Xiaomi on Sunday said that over 84 per cent of the Rs 5,551.27 crore seized by the Enforcement Directorate was the royalty payment made to US chipset company Qualcomm. The ED, under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), has approved an order of seizure of over Rs 5,551 crore worth of deposits of Chinese mobile phone manufacturer Xiaomi -- the highest amount frozen till date in India. The Enforcement Directorate (ED) charged the Chinese phone maker with remitting foreign currency equivalent to Rs 5,551.27 crore to three entities -- one Xiaomi Group company and two US-based unrelated entities -- in the guise of royalty. "We have studied the order from the Competent Authority and are disappointed with the decision as none of the factual and legal contentions raised by us have been addressed. We believe our royalty payments and statements to the bank are all legitimate and truthful," Xiaomi said in a statement. The Chinese company said that Xiaomi India