Saturday, May 16, 2026 | 05:08 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Iran

Iran plans new Hormuz traffic mechanism, fees for vessels to apply

Ebrahim Azizi, head of Iran parliament's national security committee, said details of the route system would be unveiled soon

Iran plans new Hormuz traffic mechanism, fees for vessels to apply
Updated On : 16 May 2026 | 4:33 PM IST

Jaishankar, Iranian foreign min hold bilateral talks on sidelines of Brics

The high-level interaction took place on the sidelines of the Brics Foreign Ministers' Meeting in New Delhi, marking a pivotal moment in the bilateral trajectory between the two nations

Jaishankar, Iranian foreign min hold bilateral talks on sidelines of Brics
Updated On : 15 May 2026 | 10:40 AM IST

Brics meeting sees Iran-UAE clash over West Asia conflict in Delhi

Sharp differences between Iran and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) over the West Asia conflict were on full display on Thursday during the opening day of the BRICS foreign ministers' meeting in New Delhi, signalling the challenges the bloc faces in reaching a consensus position on the crisis. It is learnt that there were heated exchanges between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and the UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Khalifa Shaheen Al Marar during the first sessions at the meeting. As the situation appeared to deteriorate, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov intervened to cool the tempers, it is learnt. In his address, Araghchi said Iran is a victim of "illegal expansionism and warmongering" and urged the BRICS nations to "explicitly condemn" what he described as violations of international law by the US and Israel. The Iranian foreign minister called upon the BRICS to resist "Western hegemony and the sense of impunity that the US believes it is entitled ...

Brics meeting sees Iran-UAE clash over West Asia conflict in Delhi
Updated On : 15 May 2026 | 6:50 AM IST

'US is not doing serious diplomacy': Iran Dy Foreign Min Kazem Gharibabadi

Trump has discarded Iran's peace proposal plan and said that the ceasefire stands on 'life support'

'US is not doing serious diplomacy': Iran Dy Foreign Min Kazem Gharibabadi
Updated On : 14 May 2026 | 6:43 AM IST

Tehran considering service fee for Hormuz transit, says Iran minister

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran is considering a framework for charging vessels using the Strait of Hormuz for maritime services

Tehran considering service fee for Hormuz transit, says Iran minister
Updated On : 13 May 2026 | 9:59 PM IST

Kuwait accuses Iran of sending armed Guard team to attack island in nation

Kuwait on Tuesday accused Iran of sending an armed Revolutionary Guard team to attack an island in the Middle East nation. Iran didn't immediately acknowledge the allegation by Kuwait, which came under repeated attack by Iran in the war. Kuwait said that a team of six armed members of the Guard tried to infiltrate Bubiyan Island in the northwest corner of the Persian Gulf near Iraq and Iran. It accused the team of planning to carry out "hostile acts." Kuwait said that it detained four of the men, while two escaped. Kuwait, which said one of its security officials had been wounded in the attack.

Kuwait accuses Iran of sending armed Guard team to attack island in nation
Updated On : 12 May 2026 | 11:18 PM IST

UAE secretly struck Iranian fields during the West Asia war: Report

The UAE conducted a series of covert operations between March and May, including an attack on a refinery in Iran

UAE secretly struck Iranian fields during the West Asia war: Report
Updated On : 12 May 2026 | 4:41 PM IST
Blueprint

US, Israel must be held accountable for conflict they started: Iran

With the West Asia conflict disrupting global supply chains, a top Iranian official has said that Tehran is "not happy" about India and other countries facing its consequences and asserted that this was "caused" by the US and Israel. In an interview to India Today, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei also said the US and Israel have to be "held accountable" by the international community for "what they started and are still continuing". Asked if he saw any end to this conflict as countries like India are suffering because of its impact and choking of the Strait of Hormuz, Baghaei said, "You have to see what happened on February 28. Before that, the Strait of Hormuz was open and free to every country." "Iran was forced to take certain measures under international law, and I have to stress this: what Iran did is allowed under international law because we had to face aggressors, the United States and Israel, who were abusing the soil of other Persian Gulf states to ...

US, Israel must be held accountable for conflict they started: Iran
Updated On : 11 May 2026 | 11:14 PM IST

Iran describes its proposal to end war with US as legitimate, generous

Iran Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei accused US of 'upholding unreasonable and one-sided demands'

Iran describes its proposal to end war with US as legitimate, generous
Updated On : 11 May 2026 | 1:31 PM IST

Iran sends its response to US proposal aimed at ending the war: Report

Iran has responded to a US peace proposal via Pakistan, with talks currently focused on halting regional hostilities and reopening the Strait of Hormuz

Iran sends its response to US proposal aimed at ending the war: Report
Updated On : 10 May 2026 | 8:26 PM IST

Iranian businesses buckle under strain of record internet shutdown

Iran imposed heavy restrictions on internet after Israel and US started their war on the country in late February, having earlier blocked online access during nationwide protests the previous month

Iranian businesses buckle under strain of record internet shutdown
Updated On : 10 May 2026 | 7:34 PM IST

Will only accept 'fair and comprehensive agreement' with US, says Iran

Iranian Foreign Minister did not directly address Trump's offer of a pause in the US operation to escort ships via Hormuz, offered earlier as an incentive to help reach an agreement between two sides

Will only accept 'fair and comprehensive agreement' with US, says Iran
Updated On : 06 May 2026 | 1:31 PM IST

Iran denies UAE's missile attack claims, warns against retaliatory action

The remarks come after a sharp rebuke from the UAE, which denounced the 'renewed unprovoked Iranian aggression' involving the deployment of drones and missiles

Iran denies UAE's missile attack claims, warns against retaliatory action
Updated On : 06 May 2026 | 8:03 AM IST

US proposes resolution to UNSC to defend free navigation, secure Hormuz

US State Secy Marco Rubio stated that the proposal comes at the direction of US President Donald Trump in conjunction with Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Qatar

US proposes resolution to UNSC to defend free navigation, secure Hormuz
Updated On : 06 May 2026 | 6:41 AM IST

Major military operations against Iran over, Op Epic Fury concluded: Rubio

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Tuesday that major US military operations against Iran are over - but he stopped short of saying the conflict cannot be restarted. Rubio told reporters at the White House that "Operation Epic Fury" - the attack the US and Israel mounted on Iran on Feb. 28 - "is concluded" because its objectives were met. Rubio said recent clashes with Iran related to US efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz were "defensive in nature." "We're not cheering for an additional situation to occur," he said. "We would prefer the path of peace." He said Iran must agree to President Donald Trump's demands on its nuclear program and reopen the strait, a waterway vital to global oil and gas supplies. US forces pressed ahead with an effort to guide commercial ships through the strait, but so far only two vessels are known to have passed through. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the US prefers a peaceful effort to guide vessels out of the Persian Gulf but is ready to ac

Major military operations against Iran over, Op Epic Fury concluded: Rubio
Updated On : 06 May 2026 | 6:39 AM IST

How Iran war is fueling a global pistachio crisis | US-Iran war | Trump | West Asia war

A war thousands of kilometres away is now hitting dessert shelves worldwide. From viral Dubai chocolate bars to baklava and ice cream, pistachio prices are soaring as conflict in Iran disrupts global

Icon YoutubeHow Iran war is fueling a global pistachio crisis | US-Iran war | Trump | West Asia war
Updated On : 04 May 2026 | 12:09 PM IST

War at a cost: How Iran war is draining America’s weapons stockpile | US-Iran war | US Military

The Iran war is exposing a hidden strain on US military power: billions spent, weapons depleted, and global readiness under pressure.

Icon YoutubeWar at a cost: How Iran war is draining America’s weapons stockpile | US-Iran war | US Military
Updated On : 04 May 2026 | 11:40 AM IST

Iran presses for end to war within 30 days; Trump expresses doubts

Iran's latest proposal to the United States calls for issues between the two countries to be resolved within 30 days and aims to end the war rather than extend the ceasefire, according to Iran's state-linked media. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he was reviewing a new Iranian proposal to end the war, but also expressed doubt it would lead to a deal. Iran's 14-point proposal calls for an end to the war, rather than just an extension of the truce. The proposal, a rebuttal to the US nine-point plan, also calls for the US to lift sanctions on Iran, ending the naval blockade, withdrawing forces from the region, and ceasing all hostilities, including Israel's operations in Lebanon, according to the semi-official Nour News agency, which has close ties to the country's security organisations. Iran sent its reply via a Pakistani intermediary, the news agency reported. Pakistan has hosted previous negotiations between Iran and the United States. Trump rejected a previous Irania

Iran presses for end to war within 30 days; Trump expresses doubts
Updated On : 03 May 2026 | 6:40 PM IST

Iran has sent its latest proposal to US via Pakistani mediators: Report

The development follows Iran's absence from the last round of negotiations, held in Islamabad, aimed at ending the more than two-month-long conflict involving Iran, Israel and the United States

Iran has sent its latest proposal to US via Pakistani mediators: Report
Updated On : 01 May 2026 | 10:09 PM IST

Araghchi dials Jaishankar, discusses energy security, West Asia tensions

India and Iran discussed energy security concerns, Strait of Hormuz disruptions, and preparations for the upcoming BRICS foreign ministers' meeting

Araghchi dials Jaishankar, discusses energy security, West Asia tensions
Updated On : 29 Apr 2026 | 11:04 PM IST